I. MAKING THE LINE FOLLOWING SENSOR MOUNT:
To make the mount for the IR sensors you need the following
11. 16K to 1M Photoresistor (BUY NOW)
1. First bend over the two middle legs of the QRB1134 , so that they touch each other .
2. Then solder the two middle legs of EVERY sensor together
( STEPS 3 -5 SHOULD ONLY BE DONE TO TWO SENSORS. AFTER STEP 5 IS FOR THE THREE OTHER SENSORS )
3. Put a washer on the 1/2" machine screw.
4. Using a screwdriver , screw in the 1/2" screw with the washer into the sensor. Make sure the washer does not fall off.
5. Repeat this so you have two screws which have 1/2" screws going through them. This is the outside sensors .
6. Now mount one of the remaining sensors through its screw on the long side of an L bracket. Put a nut on the end. The order is:
Sensor with screw in it ----L bracket ---- nut
7. Repeat Step 15 for the other sensor.
8. Now mount an L bracket with sensor to one side of the mending plate .
9. Repeat Step 17 for the other sensor and screw.
10. Now take the 1 1/2" machine screw and put a washer on it. We are now mounting the three middle sensors.
11. Using a screwdriver, screw in the screw through one of the sensors.
12. Now push the end of the screw through a hole on only one mending plate .
13. Now add four #8 washers through the screw so that on the screw there is the following c
omponents in the following order.
Washer --- Sensor --- Mending plate --- 4 washers
14. Use the screwdriver again and screw in the 1 1/2" long screw through another sensor. The order on the screw should be like this:
Washer --- Sensor --- Mending plate --- 4 washers ---Sensor
15. Add four more washers to the end of the screw. The arrangment on the screw looks like this:
Washer --- Sensor --- Mending plate --- 4 washers ---- Sensor --- 4 washers
16. Push the second mending plate onto the end of the screw. The order now looks like this:
Washer --- Sensor --- Mending plate --- 4 washers ---- Sensor --- 4 washers --- Mending Plate
17. Screw in another sensor at the end and put a washer and a #8 nut on the end . Almost done!
Washer --- Sensor --- Mending plate --- 4 washers ---- Sensor --- 4 washers --- Mending Plate --- Sensor --
Washer -- Nut
18. Tighten the nut with pliers or a ratchet and make sure all the sensors are aligned and facing the same way.
Alright we mounted the middle sensors!
19. Now align all the sensors and tighten all the nuts. 95% Done !
20. Next just solder red wires to all the legs except the middle pins.
21. Mark the wire that is attached to the S side with white wire.
22. Solder a black wire to all of the middle pins of all the sensors. Solder all these wires together. Look in the picture carefully to notice the black wires.
23. Solder a black wire to the any another black wire connected to a sensor. This will be the wire which is negative or ground for the entire sensor array.
24. Now apply the heat shrink to the pins of the sensors. Place your soldering near the heat shrink to shrink it. Then you can add hotglue on top of the heatshrink or instead of the heatshrink.
25. NOW THAT WASN'T THAT HARD! :#)
One more step and the entire mount is done. Take a photoresistor , cover it in heatshrink and hotglue it in between the two mending plates. Instructions are here , follow them exactly!
So you should have something that looks like this:
Also right now you should mark the sensor wires with a specific label or with a specific color electrical tape. I just wrapped a different color electrical tape for each sensors wires .
Now remember those wires marked with white tape? Do the following to them.
The outermost left sensor's signal wire should be wrapped with yellow tape .
The outermost right sensor's signal wire should be wrapped with green tape.
The left sensor's signal wire should be wrapped with blue tape.
The center sensor's signal wire should be wrapped with red tape .
The right sensor's signal wire should be wrapped with white tape .
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH WIRE GOES WHERE. LABEL IT WITH A REGULAR LABEL OR WITH TAPE. KNOW WHICH IS THE SIGNAL WIRE AND POWER WIRE FOR EACH SENSOR.
An optional choice here would be to add wire connectors to each of the sensor wires . Instructions can be found in this tutorial created by Admin http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_wire_connector.shtml