Author Topic: Things I can do to help prepare for college? (In an itty-bitty high school :P )  (Read 1791 times)

Offline gp426Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  Right now I'm in high school and taking all the classes i can that have to do with robotics/ engineering. I have looked at starting robotics clubs and have found FIRST which looks some what interesting. I'm worried about having trouble finding a teacher to help with it though and getting enough students to keep it going. Any programs that might work in a small school? (Or things that i could do on my own?)
  As far as college goes I'm looking at going ROTC or going to either the Naval or Air Force Academy, I had trouble finding out about their engineering programs. Anyone know about the courses they offer?
  Anything you guys can tell me that will help me for college would be great. Thanks.  ;D 

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Hi,  I was in the same situation two years ago as you are in now.  I was interested in robotics, but nothing was available.  So instead I founded a robotics club at my highschool.  I was also interested in FIRST, (as well as everyone else in the robotics club) and tried my best to get my schools support for it, but there were no teachers available to help :'(.  Hopefully you will have better luck.

Other than computer science (programming) and computer engineering, there are no other courses available for me to take regarding robot building at my school...other than a tech design class...but I feel thats a little of a waste when there are a million tutorials on CAD softwares online.  If you really plan on pursuing robotics, you may want to take a construction course so you can have access to a work shop...or ask if you can use your schools workshop after school sometimes (that is, if your school does have a workshop :P)...

Apart from begin introduced to robotics with the LEGO Mindstorm NXT in gr. 11 comp. eng., I also built the $50 robot, as found on this site.  The $50 robot tutorial is a perfect introduction to robotics.

I say go for it, get a FIRST team started if you can, if not, host a robotics club.  Or just study robotics yourself.  Perhaps try out the Arduino, or Admin's Axon.

Although I warn you on something.  If you do start a robotics club, keep it small and containing self-motivated individuals who are willing to put the time and effort into building their own robots, or be prepared to teach everyone else how to build robots from the ground up.  From my experience hosting the club last year, we started out with around 13 people...which dwindled down to 6 over the course of a couple months...but thats probably because we have a "club joining day" at my highschool...and alot of the grade 9/10's just join every club for the hell of it...but then get scared away when they discover they will actually have to do some thinking to make a robot ^^.  Also, I highly recommend you get as much funding from your school as you can...

Good luck!

Offline gp426Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Alright. Thanks. I'm going to try and get a robotics club started sometime later this year. (I would right now. But I'm a little busy with other clubs and activities.) Hopefully i find some people to join. Thanks again.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
learn analog electronics. digital electronics is easy and it'll be like making lego on the overpriced fpga they will make you buy while LC series parallel multiple power supply circuits will be your downfall if you don't learn the basics.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Don't bring a TV to college.  Take an AP math course if you can to skip the most basic math requirement... I found it useful to take beginning physics in college even though I took AP physics in high school (got a 4 on the AP exam so I didn't test out anyways...)  Look into getting an internship or research with a prof the summer between HS and college, but don't stress out about it.  I didn't, and I'm fine, but I could definitely see the benefit.  (Instead... well I didn't do much that summer other than play with Lego CAD progs and rendering)
I

Get Your Ad Here