Author Topic: Bread Board or PC Board  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Random_GuyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Bread Board or PC Board
« on: July 11, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »
Hello Everyone (My first forum post :D) Well anyway, I found this site when I was looking to see if I could find an easy and cheap way to build a robot, and I found the 50$ robot tutorial, and  I read through it, and saw the part about Soldering on the PC Board, honestly, I am pretty young compared to most of  you guys,(and girls) so I was wondering how the Bread Board would work as a replacement for a PC Board? I know that everything would be pretty loose, but will it be really noticeable? thank u all for any feedback you can give me

-A begginner Tween Robotist

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Bread Board or PC Board
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
how old?
alot of us here are teens.

yes the connections wouldn't be as secure, but unless you're gonna have it off-roading, teh connections should be ok.

what do you mean by noticable? visually or performance?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »
Im 12, And noticable I was talking preformance wise, would having a Bread board or PC board have an impact on the bots preformance over all?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
A breadboard is always something nice to keep around if you are going to be working with electronics. If you really want to get in to electronics, I highly recommend buying one.

However a breadboard is several times more expensive than the prototyping boards, and not as reliable cause of loose connections.

I only use breadboards to test out new circuits, or at least to tweak gains on circuits until I like the outputs.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
hmm ok, I think i am gonna buy a pc board and a soldering kit, thank you guys for the feed back :D

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
If you can't solder, ask your father/grandfather/etc. if they have ever soldered anything/if they could solder this for you.

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:33:11 AM »
If you cant or dont like soldering (like me, I hate soldering >:( ) For robotics, depending on the size of your robot and board you sometimes can use a bread board(test robots), just make sure you keep the parts and wires fixed.
However breadboards cant be used with high frequency(clock) circuits. I dont remember exactly what is the limit but if I am not mistaken 10KHz or more doesnt work very well. Please someone correct me if the value is wrong.
Although I dont like soldering I recomend PC boards. They are lighter, printed ones dont need hundreds  of jumpers, any size is OK, they look cool in the end and are more secure.
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
Hmmm but if I were to buy a bread board, how hard would it be to follow the steps here http://societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step3B.shtml or does copying that down to the hole (I mean, like, the same components next to eachother and stuff, just in a diff area, or on a different board) really matter? because I realized that modifying the hs-311 servo isnt as easy as it was from a few forum posts I found, so I would have to order em with 360 degree rotation already, so holding back on buying a solder Iron, and just spending 2 dollars more on a bread board would help me but if I cant follow the tutorial, I can still do the pc board/soldering Iron combination, my financial postion isnt that great though....

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
I'd use this picture to help with wiring teh breadbaord
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »
ok thx for the help everyone, I am going to go order all the parts right now

Offline robotvisionary

• Helpful? 0
  • Lucky I wasn't that driver.
    • Apple Hackz
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 05:43:41 AM »
There are sites on google that hlep you with the soldering part. I learn how to solder in websites in google.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:46:38 AM by robotvisionary »
I've have not failed, I've just found out 2,000 how a light bulb will not work

Thomas Edision.
[youtube]59xcT1dstq4[/youtube]

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:56 AM »
If you need LED's or any other electrical component for that matter, your local radioshack/ radioshack.com has them.

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
Thats not true, my local radioshacks had jack crap for selection.. a few switches and stuff.. but no relays/breadboards.

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »
Was it in a mall? mine that is a whole sale store has one. look up the Item at radio shack.com then find the nearest store to you that has it...

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »
Megaman is on point... Many Radio Shacks have stopped selling "slow moving" items (such as the electronic parts).  There are 4 stores near me... only one still sells electronic components.

Radio Shack is good in a pinch, but you are far better off making a shopping list and heading over to www.jameco.com, or www.digikey.com, or www.mouser.com

The cost is way less and the selection is far greater than what Radio Shack can offer you.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:12 PM »
I love to solder, I find it relaxing, if you haven't learned yet any time is a good time to start, somewhere along the line you will HAVE to solder something on a robot. I learned young, I could solder wires before I could write my name!
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 09:24:55 PM »
Ya Soldering is NOT difficult at all, it just takes some practice...  google it on the internet and just practice a bit.  You can get the hang of it in no time.

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 04:08:26 AM »
Really not a fan of Soldering, I know it was what turned me off of electronics for a long time! The mechanics is always so much easier  ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »
because I realized that modifying the hs-311 servo isnt as easy as it was from a few forum posts I found, so I would have to order em with 360 degree rotation already
Dont let previous posts scare you away. I promise you it isnt that hard.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 10:44:11 PM »
I love soldering! I love it! Dont know why though :-P

I think you should buy both the breadboard and the PC board. You can make the circuit in the breadboard and when you get everything right, you can transfer it over to the PC board. That way you have less risk of damaging the PC board if you make a mistake and need to desolder/remove a component. I made the mistake of not getting the breadboard b/c I didnt know I would need it but it turns out I did and I ripped up some of the solder points(Forgot what theyre called) on the PC(perf) board. My perf board is still usable but now it is missing 10 of its soldering contacts >_<... then I got my desoldering iron (the one with the sucker built right onto the irons tip) from my nearest radioshack (wouldnt call it local, it was practically a road trip to get there lol) and now I dont have that problem anymore.

Summary:
Buy Breadboard and Perfboard
Build on Breadboard first, then transfer it over to the Perfboard
Enjoy your circuit =) (I prefer mine with some butter or cream cheese)
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Get Your Ad Here

data_list