go away spammer

Author Topic: BlueSMIRF issues with COM port  (Read 2558 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
BlueSMIRF issues with COM port
« on: August 29, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »
Sometimes after turning on and turning off the Axon multiple times for bootloading my laptop's internal bluetooth no longer can connect to the BlueSMIRF COM port. In Bray Terminal ( a terminal emulator for Windows) the option to choose the COM port is enabled but when I click it to select it I get " Error: COM port unavailable".
What is even more wierd is that if I were to restart and reinstall the BlueSMIRF everything works after that fresh reinstall but later on it will stop working.

I am running the BlueSMIRF at 38.4 K baud.

Can anybody help me fix this issue?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline MarkBrown

• Helpful? 0
    • Mark's Projects
Re: BlueSMIRF issues with COM port
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »
I am not sure if it applies in this case, but I know that with my logitech blue tooth mouse and keyboard, I have the option of just using them out of the box, or paring them up using some magic and digital glue.  The problem with the pairing is that if either of the two devices lose battery or get reset, then neither can connect until the paring process is reapplied.  Is this an option with your blue tooth device and are you using it?  Also, you may want to consider implementing a timeout.  What I mean by this is if after a certian period of time nothing is sent to or from the chip via bluetooth, shut it down.  Now that I think about it, that might not be practical, but you could attach that behavior to a button, either the on board or an external one, that gets pressed just before shutting off the Axon that will deallocate your BlueTooth, hopefully freeing up the port on your pc.

Although I might not know a damn thing about using BlueTooth with AVR, hopefully this might spark an idea in your head.

Mark
It is human nature to confuse genious with insanity

http://marksproject.blogspot.com/

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: BlueSMIRF issues with COM port
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
I'm assuming you are powering the bluetooth from the Axon power header, so that when you turn off the Axon, the bluetooth also gets turned off?

There are three solutions to this . . . power the bluetooth some other way so that it isn't turned off with the Axon . . . disconnect bluetooth com before turning off bluetooth . . . or use the MKII programmer so you don't have to turn the Axon off to reprogram it.

(I have the same annoying problem with bluetooth, so I use the MKII programmer)

Get Your Ad Here