Author Topic: Microchip SAmples diferences....  (Read 1646 times)

Offline jhonilsonTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Microchip SAmples diferences....
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
  Hi friends.
  I just want to know what is the diference between pic samples and commercial pics??? (from microchip of course)

Thanks

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: Microchip SAmples diferences....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:55 PM »
 Hi friends.
  I just want to know what is the diference between pic samples and commercial pics??? (from microchip of course)

Thanks

Except the fact that samples are free (usually), they are identical.
Chip makers provide samples so you can test their products. It wouldn't make sense to give a different chip as sample :)

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
Some sites will state that their samples may differ from the commercial products, but as Chelmi said:

It wouldn't make sense to give a different chip as sample :)
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
When a manufacture introduces a new chip there may be pre-production run 'engineering' samples. These could be different then the chip produced later.

When the chip has been in production for some time then the samples are usually identical to the purchased chips.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
Hi,

Apart from what's been said allready... Samples might (from time to time) come from a bin of chips that couldn't make it at eg. max. temperature limit, but under lab conditions should perform normally.
They won't be real rejects, as that would just throw people off the product, if it showed as bad circuits.

Oh, another difference... Samples are meant for engineers developing stuff that will be sold in large numbers, to further their business with Microchip, not for amateurs who just want freebies.
Commercial chips are for anyone that pays  ;)

The reason that many manufacturers stopped shipping samples to several locations (mainly eastern countries) is misuse of the sampling system, so if you really don't wanna pay the (very small) price for a PIC, at least don't go berserk at the samples and ruin it for professionals which it is directed towards - I bet engineers in Poland, Romania etc. are quite P'd off that so many of their nationals ruined their chance of testing out new products when doing R&D for new products.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline jhonilsonTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
  Thanks so much for the replies. Now I have not doubts
  I thinked that pic samples had less memory!!! or something similar.

Thanks again

data_list