go away spammer

Author Topic: First time help needed  (Read 3480 times)

Offline one4stevoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
First time help needed
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »
I'm totally new to this forum and to robotics  ;D as you'll find out soon.
I need some help I don't really know what to buy basically I'm after something that will control two servos. Something I can adjust without a computer if possible. It's for a robotic arm and somehow it has to work two servos independently  with a touch of a button i need it to be able to work in one direction and with another press of a button it has to come back to the same place. also with adjustable settings. Ive been looking for a long time but i always find something thats either too much to buy or doesn't do all the things i need it too. ???   hopefully someone in hear could find me something  Thanks everyone  8) 

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: First time help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
Check out basicatom.com, they sell something you can use to make it.  A basic ATOm chip can control the servo, and while the basic atom is TECHNICALLY a computer, its not a big box, its a very small(think like 2 or 3 match boxes) chip.  You can program it to accept input from something, and then to control your servo's.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:15:58 AM »
Thanks Robotboy  Just got another question  how do i ajust it manualy  sorry im a few chapters behind in robotics  hehe  from what i can understand a ATOM chip  is the brains of the operation.. i just dont understand how do i set it so it know what to do

Thanks again

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 06:17:29 AM »
What you seem to be wanting is a servo controller:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DGUS,DGUS:2006-11,DGUS:en&q=servo+controller

There are a lot out there, so it may take a bit to understand the differences between them all.

Offline Zriuz

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »
I just joined this forum to ask for the same thing, I know quiet a bit about robotics and been looking all over for something like that,  I basically want the servos to go to a pre program position in order i programed to, then with the other button the same pattern backwards.  most the servo controllers (or all of them) don't have inputs but the usb or parallel cable. witch i need two. it will help a lot if some one more experience could come up with a way to handle this.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
I'm glad I?m not the only person in the boat. I been looking everywhere most of it all is gibberish to me so it's kind of like the blind leading the blind on my end  ??? i live in Australia and finding anything is really hard so what ever i get ill say it's going to come from the us  Anyhow hope someone out there could help us out  Thanks

Offline Zriuz

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »
here you go i think i got the answer, i just remember that i used the Parallax basic stap robot call boe-bot back in high school and was able to control 2 servos for it wheels, they sell just the electronics in a different kit. you could program different input into it. i remember that the robot had to whiskers (simple switches) in front of the bot that if it bump into something it will do what ever you program it to do. so i'm going ahead and buying the kit and see what i can do. I'm doing a sequential car shifter that will convert stock H patter transmissions into a sequential shifter just pull back to up shift, push to down shift, therefor my two inputs

Get Your Ad Here