go away spammer

Author Topic: what math skills and other skills do i need to make and program robots?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline doc_hollidayTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I have only read a bit about them so far but I would like to know what else I should know.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
for your first robots barely any math is needed - just multiplication and basic algebra . Line following , obstacle avoiding , even talking robots do not need big complicated math.

For advanced robots you need complicated math - by advanced I mean bipeds, flying robots, like that

What robot do you plan on building?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline JSH21

• Helpful? 0
what kind of math is needed in a biped liek a 6 or 4 servo? like when would you need to use your known math concepts and incorporate them into your biped?

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
what kind of math is needed in a biped liek a 6 or 4 servo? like when would you need to use your known math concepts and incorporate them into your biped?

what do you mean what kind of math. Think for a second how on earth you can balance a biped , which would ordinarily tip over if not for the perfect synchronization of movements from the servos. Now how do you calculate those precise movements? or an even better example is the Kalman filter which is almost always necessary with bipeds. Google it , and be careful not to get dizzy from looking at all the calculations  :D

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • I Am.  When?
Simple answer for ya:

Basic Robots (wheeled wandering robots) - Algebra
Hobby Level Advanced (basic bipeds, trackers, etc) - Trig/Precalc
Advanced Robots (true bipeds, flyers, etc) - Calculus
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline lemontree

• Helpful? 0
I did a lot of calculus and it is really of not so much use.
A little bit of statistics and probability theory is useful. A little bit of discrete maths and logic. It is better to really study and take on board the basics of a few maths topics, rather than get too deep into one topic.  You can opt to put together simple maths ideas in a creative way.  There are some simple ideas that are really amazing and highly useful like the Chebyshev inequality that are hardly ever used because people get lost in the complexity of maths!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chebyshev%27s_inequality

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
assumptions,equations,calculations...are the mathematics knowledge u need to implement... for simpler robots its all abt assumptions and deriving the right threshold..as ur robot gets complicated so does ur algorithm and ur equation which control it... for image processing...geometry is everything... triangulation,orientation,centre of gravity... etc are needed to be accrurate and efficient.. for UAV ...gps navigation...shortest path,angulr orientation...etc are needed..

the general scope of mathematics that can be used in robotics is as huge as mathemtics itself....but u can build a robot by using some of te most basic mathematical concepts lik addition,subtraction etc...

it all depends on what ur building ad how ur building it...if u can build a robot without any maths then so be it...if u can build a robot using the most complex of equations nd theories then also so be it... ..
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
You probably don't need quantum chromatography :)
I

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
I did a lot of calculus and it is really of not so much use.

Oh my.  Isaac Newton is rolling over in his grave.

Get Your Ad Here