Author Topic: Heathkit Hero Speech board schematic  (Read 4013 times)

Offline AtomHexTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Heathkit Hero Speech board schematic
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
Does anyone have a schematic drawing for the wiring in/outs of a Heathkit Hero-1 speech board that they would like to share.
I'm not looking for the full set of plans, I don't own a Hero robot, I just would like the wiring in/outs for the speech board.
thanks

AtomHex

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: Heathkit Hero Speech board schematic
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
This link should be useful... http://www.indianapolis.net/robotics/HERO-1.htm

It seems pretty basic though... It uses a speech synthesizer IC on a single sided board...

That pretty much means that you can simply get the IC datasheet and trace out it's inputs and out puts...
The rest of the board looks like an amplifier circuit (and should be) driving the speaker...

Nothing too complicated... If you have the board on your hands then go for it...

If you still need help... post pictures from underneath the board... Any guy with some experience on this forum
can trace trace it out...

Still... Do you own try first... We try to help others... not build stuff for them ;-)

Best Regards, Lefteris

Greece
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
Ya I hear ya, I can reverse engineer the board but I'm not getting any younger that's why I'm looking for the easy way...like a schematic.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Hi,

[...] but I'm not getting any younger that's why I'm looking for the easy way...like a schematic.
If time is the prevailing parameter here, do the sensible thing - toss it and buy something new that comes with documents.

Spending 10, 30 or however many hours searching the net (perhaps in vain) yield a very low hourly payoff versus just buying a new speech board.
Take a look at the SpeakJet at $25, or plunge in and build your own with this project.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
 I already have a SpeakJet, nice chip, I'm just wanting to set the Hero voice up as a nostalgic demo piece, I have the complete speech board so I guess I'll just have to reverse engineer it hopefully without screwing it up.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:38 AM »
Generally speaking a single layer PCB... is more than easy to find the actual circuit...

It almost screams what goes where.... I seriously insist getting the Speak IC datasheet and begin to trace out everything...

Ignore the amplifier circuit... just see where's the data input and the speaker output...

If you seriously can't do that... then de-solder the IC and solder it again in you own board... lot's of choices on how to build the circuit... protoboards, etc etc etc....

Amen!!! :-p
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
Ok, ok, I've done it...It's squawking away nicely, just a nice nostalgic pieced of left-overs, I'm going to hook it up to a Basic Stamp with a Parallax RobotEye ( another old piece ) and have it give greetings when someone walks into the room.

Get Your Ad Here