Author Topic: My introduction (new member).  (Read 2754 times)

Offline SciTech02Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
My introduction (new member).
« on: September 10, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »
Hello, this is my first post here, but not my first time on a forum (or even a robot forum).  I thought I'd create an introduction to my situation.

I got interested in robotics several years ago and bought my first robot, the BOE-Bot (a wonderful little thing).  I joined parallax's forum and tinkered/played with the BOE-Bot for some time, maxing it out.  However, on that forum I talked about computer vision and intelligent navigation (which I could not make the BOE-Bot do at the time).  At that time, a person metioned the ER-1 robot and posted links about it.  I immediately became interested and sold my BOE-Bot so I could get an ER-1.  This was several years ago and by then they stopped making the ER-1, so I waited and waited (the company kept pushing back the date when they would re-release it). 

Now, about 2 months ago, I finally got one and, finding batteries for the robot/laptop, got it working.  :)  It's different then I expected, but I'm still trying to get used to it (the GUI it uses is anoying).  :-\

So now I'm here.  I see at least 1 person here has an ER-1 robot and countless others who built PC-based robots, so I thought I'd come here (since the forum for the ER-1 robot does not exist anymore).  I hope to do great things with the ER-1 and perhaps enter it in one of these contests.  8)

SciTech02 (PS. sorry for the long post)  :-\

Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: My introduction (new member).
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I have an ER1 kit, although is pretty used by now (the hardware parts start to come loose...) The battery died and I had it replaced by a bigger one, the charger's transformer died, I still need to replace it, the camera shows only a black image. I didn't do much with this kit, yes, I have built a robot, but didn't finish programming it, had some hardware issues and decided to rebuild.

So here is a link to another forum where there are some ER1 users: http://pruim037.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=nonww&action=display&thread=2078. You may find nice info there. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to pass on the knowledge.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline SciTech02Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:58 AM »
Thanks for commenting!  :) ;D

I notice you were on that forum as well, asking about disabling the laptop battery monitoring feature from the RCC (I had the exact same problem!  I got around it by finding another laptop battery.). 

Question: I see you were programing the API using python (I was interested in using this programing language, how is it?).  Now, can you create a program in python and still use basic ER1 commands (like the events command, ER1 command and set command)?  The ER1 manual talks about them and I wanted to use features of the RCC in the general python code (so I'm basicly asking can I create a program in the API that is in python, but uses API commands). - - Oh, I think I found the answer for that question (on page 10-2 of the ER1 user guide, it says that the API is "written in a language neutral way, they can be used by most programing and scripting languages including C, C++, Perl, Java, Visual Basic, etc."  :-\

Thank you for that link and offering help; it is nice to meet someone who actually owns an ER1 robot.
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »
I didn't do much in Python or any other language since I am not a programmer and didn't had the time to learn it. After I found a person willing to help me program it, I kept asking for the C SDK on that forum and someone gave me the SDK. But my buddy had some fammily matters and didn't get a chanse to even look at it, then school exams and so on, until I gave up on him. Maybe some day I will learn enough programming to do it myself. Probably by that day it will be obsolete, but who knows?
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list