Author Topic: Many robots with ip camera and wifi on large area  (Read 1927 times)

Offline jangrzdylTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Many robots with ip camera and wifi on large area
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:07 AM »
Hello,

I wonder if there is a method to build army of robots to control on large area. Each robot would have ip camera with wifi transmitter and wifi receiver. The area would be large so there will be many wifi hot-spots. The robots would trigger beetwen hot-spots. Is it possible to make something like this with electronic elements available in shops by relative low cost?

Best,
Janek

Offline ofnature

• Helpful? 0
    • Space Dreams
Re: Many robots with ip camera and wifi on large area
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:49:15 AM »
Depends on what is low to you, and depends on what you want the bots to be able to do.

Chances are if you are asking these kind of questions you are already over your head.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:30:22 AM »
Low costs I mean electronic elements consisted of ip camera, microcontroller, sender and receiver controller which all cost in about 200$

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
Low costs I mean electronic elements consisted of ip camera, microcontroller, sender and receiver controller which all cost in about 200$
Then add in the cost of chassis, batteries, motors, gearboxes, motor controllers, etc.

Also, the greater the power requirements the bigger the batteries which means a larger chassis, motors, controllers. Very roughly I would estimate another $200 to $800 for this for each Bot.
Is this still "low cost"?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
a
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Now I want to talk only about ip camera, wifi receiver-trasmitter on large area with many hotspots. I want to get know how to do this for relative low cost ~ 200$. Do you know some solution on market which could do that?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
What are the wireless IP cameras connecting to in your scenario?

For bot-to-bot communication, the Zigbee protocol is one solution.  Typically people use it as a serial connection, but more advanced stuff is possible (and way beyond my scope of knowledge).
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: a
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Hi,

Now I want to talk only about ip camera, wifi receiver-trasmitter on large area with many hotspots. I want to get know how to do this for relative low cost ~ 200$. Do you know some solution on market which could do that?
You'd need something like an Ethernet connected cam and a WiFi router and the cheapest/easiest option is probably a WiFi enabled cam (you'd have to do your own price check on that, but it doesn't sound impossible*) and of course you'd need a power supply for both, but more important... Are you sure the hotspot are actually hot? Unless they're public free access points, you're intruding (or trying to) on private peoples connections.
I'd think most people nowadays use encryption on their WiFi anyway, so it might be whipping a dead horse.

* depending on what you expect in terms of resolution and optics.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here