Author Topic: Robot Docking Station - Relay to Switch Power Source  (Read 1439 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
Robot Docking Station - Relay to Switch Power Source
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
I'm planning for a robot docking station and I want to be able to switch the power source of the robot from battery to the wall. A DC Power Supply would fit into the wall and connect to the docking station.

I'd like to switch the power supply from the battery to the wall-connected docking station using a couple relays. The docking station would power the robot's Mini ITX computer--maybe some servos as well, but this isn't terribly necessary, not the DC motor that give the robot mobility (of course).

I'd just like to consult anyone here about something first: can I instantly divert power to the Mini ITX computer from battery to DC wall power without it shutting down for 10ms (or anything) or causing any voltage spikes that might damage it? I'm deducting the answer is no or at least the difference is negligible (The plan is to have the mini ITX powered by a Pico PSU with the relay switching power from battery to DC wall power--both sources go through the pico psu, of course). In the event I'm missing any little thing, I wanted to consult anyone here first.

My plan is to keep the robot operational without needing to power off the robot. While plugged in, another relay would divert power to the Battery Chargers to charge the batteries. When charging is complete, the robot will be free to be mobile again and disconnect from the docking station.

The robot is intended to be a domestic robot--mainly a development platform for home security or assisting the elderly or disabled when a professional caregiver is not available.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Robot Docking Station - Relay to Switch Power Source
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:16 AM »
Hi,

You didn't search this forum for an answer before asking, or you'd have found your answer (it's a vcommon question).

You don't need to switch anything!
Just connect the charger (make sure it is suitable) to the battery and it will run the stuff while charging the battery with the surplus current.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here