Author Topic: Annoying sound maker  (Read 15212 times)

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Annoying sound maker
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
I'm moving half way through the year this year, and I want to leave something behind for my old high school  ;)
Not hurting anyone or damaging anything, of course  :P

I want to make something like this...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

...  but I want to modify it a bit.

I found this instructable...

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Raven-high-pitched-torture/

... but I have a question about the programmer. It uses an Atiny45 MC made by Atmel. Can I use the same programmer/programing program that is used with the 50$ robot?

My idea for the programing. I want it to do an on/off chirping for about a minute, then shut off for a random amount of time (1-10 minutes) then change the frequency and chirp for another minute, thus making it harder to find.
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
Re: Annoying sound maker
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
I made and sold some of those things once.
Yes, you can use the same toolchain and programmer, but you can't use the same firmware, of course.

If it will chirp for one minute, it will be found. Use something under 10ms, i found frequencies between 4khz and 4.5khz to be annoying. Also, a very annoying thing is to sweep down from that frequency.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »
I made and sold some of those things once.
Yes, you can use the same toolchain and programmer, but you can't use the same firmware, of course.

If it will chirp for one minute, it will be found. Use something under 10ms, i found frequencies between 4khz and 4.5khz to be annoying. Also, a very annoying thing is to sweep down from that frequency.

Awesome, thanks for the help, Ill keep the frequency in mind then to...
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
Well, it depends a lot on your buzzer.
Get a software sound generator, put it on square wave, and sweep from 10 to 20000. See what is annoying. The go look for a buzzer at that frequency. Also, remember to drive the buzzer (if it's of a piezo type) in a bipolar fashion: don't tie it to ground, but tie both of its pins to outputs. Switch the outputs at your desired frequency. This way, you will gain some more volume.

edit: wtf, dude? futurama  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:26:52 PM by izua »
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »
edit: wtf, dude? futurama  ;D

Haha, yea. My favorite line from the hole show because I know BASIC so...  :P

Offline nphbrown

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Annoying sound maker--simple, cheap
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:38 AM »
I'm not a robot, nor have I ever been a witch.  But I'm getting 1-2 cold calls from Indian pharmacies every day, from hijacked American phone numbers. They won't quit, so I've tried screaming high pitched to hurt their ears (constant punishment should extinguish their intrusive behavior). But it would be easier and more fun if I just had an annoying sound maker on my keychain that I could activate. I heard several years ago of a British shopkeeper who developed a teenager annoying alarm that could not be heard by older people. My guess is that these Indians are around 30 or younger. But I'm not electronics savvy, so I just want to buy something, cheap because I'm unemployed, a professor turning back into a psychotherapist. Even a fax machine sound is almost annoying enough to work, esp because the caller might assume he'd reached a fax machine, so the number would be disqualified for future dialing.

Offline robots-in-brighton

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
I understand your frustration. Sadly, the system that you heard about emitted annoying high frequencies in the ultrasound range which will not be transmitted by the telephone system - the range of frequencies that are faithfully tramsmitted are limited to those most common in human speech, higher and lower frequencies are cut off.

I find that handing the phone over to a small child helps to discourage future calls.

Offline Kelpy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
I find that handing the phone over to a small child helps to discourage future calls.

Hmmm.... that sounds like a good idea.

Anyone know where I can rent one?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list