Author Topic: help with linear motion  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Mr.MTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
help with linear motion
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
So I need some sort of actuator to provide a straight linear motion.  What first came to mind was using a solenoid but from what I take on them is that they are more of a rapid back and forth motion with no control on how far it extends, where as I need a slow and smooth actuator where I can control the distance.  Am I wrong on how solenoids work? Is there a better option?  This may be simple to others but for some reason I'm stumped. Thanks.

Offline Azraels

• Helpful? 1
Re: help with linear motion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
well did you try googling linear actuators  :P

This was one of the first hits: http://www.servocity.com/html/12v_linear_actuators.html
Im sure there are cheaper on Ebay and just looking around.

If your looking for something tiny, cd players, cd-dvd drives have a small actuator that moves the laser back and forth for reading the disc.
If your first post is, "I want to build a super complex robot with object recognition, etc..but I have never done programming or electronics...etc." 
Your doing it wrong. Start Simple and Work Up.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
So I need some sort of actuator to provide a straight linear motion.  [...] I need a slow and smooth actuator where I can control the distance.
Have You considered leadscrew? It can be easily made DIY style using threaded rod and a nut. Simply make motor spin threaded rod and see nut moving up and down the thread.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline uirobot

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • Integrated Stepper Motor with Drives
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:16 AM »
Sure you need a Threaded Rod Stepper Motor with Acme Leadscrew.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
A "voice coil" might be an option. It's basically a solenoid with position control.

A higher-torque option is stepper motor (or gear motor) with a lead screw and drive nut or bearing. Perhaps coupled with an encoder of some sort. That's how most linear actuators you can buy are built.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list