go away spammer

Author Topic: What batterys should i buy?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline JudanTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
What batterys should i buy?
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:07:33 AM »
I was wondering what voltage batterys i would need and how many for this motor:
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/AB-70097.html

Should i get these batterys??:
http://www.phenostream.com/products/detail/LIB_02.aspx#LPB_02
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:28:37 AM by Judan »

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: Should i have bought this microcontroller?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:15:44 AM »
looks like a nice board

hmmmm

as for the r/c vs. autnomous it depends on what reciever / transimitter you get and what microcontroller you use. R/C is better if you want to actually fight with it since autonomous will not be nearly as good as your vision-based controlling ( in english that means autonomous will generally be worse than you controlling it )

What kind of beetle weight robot? For robot sumo ?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:35:42 AM »
I was thinking of making a battle bot in beetle weight i think although i may be abit of a idiot to make it, seeing as there is no comps in any battle bot type things in Perth.Western.Australia

I was also wondering what things do you need for a r/c robot in like a list like do you need a speed controller for dc
motors... these ones:
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/AB-70097.html

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:12:08 AM »
You could consider using a TReX Jr, which can serve as an ESC and drive your Tamiya motors based on signals from your RC receiver.  It also has the capacity to drive a third, unidirectional, 10 A continuous motor (if you're making a battle bot, you could use this third channel for a weapon).  Perhaps more importantly, the TReX Jr can also be controlled by serial commands from a microcontroller, so if you decide you want to make your robot autonomous rather than radio controlled, you can do so fairly easily without having to get a whole new motor controller.  The TReX Jr has the unique ability to switch between RC and serial control interfaces on the fly, meaning you could use your transmitter to switch your robot between autonomous and RC modes at will.  For example, you could use your transmitter to allow your robot to function autonomously, and if it gets in trouble you can take control back using whichever transmitter channel is connected to channel input 5 on the TReX Jr and drive it to safety using RC.

- Ben

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:05:26 AM »
Thx for that im gonna buy that when i get enough looks like just what i need :P

id also like to know like a list on all the things you need for a r/c robot

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Re: What batterys should i buy?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
Judan - did you go into your original post to be about needing a new battery?  the replies don't match up with the topic.  If you want to ask a new question, like what batteries you should buy, you should start a new topic.

The motor you are looking can use any voltage between 3 and 8.4 volts.  The more volts, the faster it will go.  I recommend AA batteries (either 4 or 6 of them).

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: What batterys should i buy?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »
The motor you are looking can use any voltage between 3 and 8.4 volts.  The more volts, the faster it will go.  I recommend AA batteries (either 4 or 6 of them).
The Tamiya motors are intended for operation at 3 V.  Technically you can go much higher and they will still spin, but using higher voltages greatly decreases their lifetime (for example, in one test the motor only lasted for 2 hours of continuous runtime at 7.2 V):

Tamiya "Toy" motor testing

- Ben

Get Your Ad Here