go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon bootloader - did I erase it?  (Read 5666 times)

Offline OperationIvyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Axon bootloader - did I erase it?
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
Yesterday I fired up the boot loader successfully one or two times before (possibly) messing it up. I had the axon plugged in to the USB on my computer, started the boot loader, then when I went to turn on my power supply, I accidentally turned it on for just a second before turning it on fully. What happened was the button didnt click in so it got power for a second and then turned off. Well when it got power initially it started talking to the boot loader program but when I turned it on again there was some kind of error message. Now when I try to run the boot loader at the command prompt it acts like it doesn't see the axon plugged in through the usb.

I'm pretty sure the axon no longer has the boot loader software installed, but I'm not that experienced with this sort of thing, so if anyone has some insight I would really appreciate it. Just to be safe I went ahead and ordered a hardware programmer in case I need to re-upload the boot loader, but I hope that won't be necessary.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Axon bootloader - did I erase it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
The bootloader is probably still there, although on rare occasions shutting off power during programming AVR's has been known to corrupt data and even mess up clock fuses (bad!).

There is a much larger chance your computer isn't opening/closing your USB port properly and that restarting your PC will probably fix it. (let me know if it does!) Also, make sure you aren't using the USB port with another program such as Hyperterminal.

As for the hardware programmer you ordered, there are a few benefits it offers so don't feel you wasted money - I prefer to program my Axons with a hardware programmer myself. The bootloader was mainly meant to save people money by making it optional.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »
Thanks admin - when I go back in today I will try again!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Restarting the computer worked.. the axon talked to the bootloader but it hung up on something called a "CRC-error." Now the computer acting like it doesnt see the axon again ("cannot open COM3"). Any idea what this means?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
A few other people have had the same problem, but no luck yet figuring it out yet. Check this post:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=5052.0

I have never had the error so I can't debug it myself . . .

Since you ordered a programmer, install the new bootloader and let us know if it fixes anything:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=5932.0
(I don't think it will, but its worth a try)

Report your results to the 5052 thread. Also, tell us your OS and PC brand. We are trying to find patterns.

Offline Dscrimager

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Please read my posts from that trail. I had the same problems initially.

Now, when I am ready to reprogram I shut off the AXON and LEAVE IT OFF FOR AT LEAST 10 SECONDS.

Then and only then I start the boot loader upload program with the USB device connected.
I wait at least a couple of seconds. Then I power up the AXON.

Now it works perfectly every time.

Get Your Ad Here