Electronics > Electronics

I broke one of the damn pins on my microcontroller! Help!

(1/4) > >>

garriwilson:
So if I broke one of the pins on my microcontroller!!! :'( Is that it? Or can i put super glue or something. I cried.  I seriously did. My dad is gonna kill me. IF there is any way to fix it tell me please. I don't know what I'm going to tell my parents they spent like 200 bucks on this! I broke the one on the edge on the left side trying to take it out of the socket because it didn't go in enough. Can I solder it back in or something? Or can I put a wire from that pin and put it around and solder it to the back of the socket? Any other ideas? Does anyone know of any stores that sell those microcontrollers? Like Radioshack, Fry's, or other well-known stores? PLZ respond

JonHylands:
Well, it would really help if you could take a picture of this thing, and tell us what kind of chip it is.

- Jon

Kohanbash:
Don't worry yet.
On many micros a lot of the pins are not (need not be) used. Check the data sheet to see what that pin does. if its not connected than your lucky, but if its an I/O, clk, etc... you might be able to get away with not using that function while the rest of the micro works.
Also is the pin completely broken or is there a spec of metal showing from where the pin was? If there's a little you might be able to wire wrap it?

Admin:
If it turns out to be an important pin and not repairable, consider upgrading when you get a new one:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_atmega168_swapout.shtml

Also, try mouser.com to buy it (they dont rape and pillage you for shipping).

garriwilson:
Thanx guys, I got one from mouser.com! The total digikey price with shipping is  like 6 times the price of the micro!!! What's up with that? And the pin that broke is for the servo its PD0. Do you think I could use PD3 or do I have to modify the programming? I'll probably use it later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version