go away spammer

Author Topic: CV revision needed  (Read 1941 times)

Offline newInRoboticsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
CV revision needed
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
As I am soon to be graduate, main aim for me at the moment is to get job in industry. It so happened that today I was introduced to an open position in one local robot factory, however yet I was not provided with any job description, all I know is that there are two positions available: design and manufacturing. As this is first 'proper' job for me I'm not quite sure on how I should tailor my CV. I expect that in this forum there are people who are employers themselves, or people who have more experience for that matter. I would welcome Your feedback on my CV and be grateful for time spent reviewing it.

Thanks in advance.

N.I.R.

Edit: I live in UK if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:52:54 PM by newInRobotics »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
Re: CV revision needed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
Very impressive! If you are looking to get into robotics, it may be in your interest to mention assembly and c/c++. C#, java and some of the other languages don't usually translate down well to someone interested in hardware related jobs. Either way you look at it, your resume is impressive and I doubt you should have much trouble finding decent work.

One other little thing, being bi-lingual is awesome. You might consider making another copy in your native language and linking from one to the other via your own website in both translations. Though this may be irrelevant if you are restricted geographically and looking for work only in an area that predominantly speaks one of your two languages.
-garrett

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
If you are looking to get into robotics, it may be in your interest to mention assembly and c/c++. C#, java and some of the other languages don't usually translate down well to someone interested in hardware related jobs.
I wish I new C/C++ or ASM, however I don't. To be honest, I've just started to do more than uni modules require, that's a downside, because it would have been alot easier if I had started earlier.

One other little thing, being bi-lingual is awesome. You might consider making another copy in your native language and linking from one to the other via your own website in both translations. Though this may be irrelevant if you are restricted geographically and looking for work only in an area that predominantly speaks one of your two languages.
As I currently live in England and so far do not plan to go back to Lithuania, or any other country for that matter, I don't really need to translate it. But thanks for advise anyway :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Graynomad

• Helpful? 7
    • Skype - grayn0mad
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »
I wish I new C/C++ or ASM
If you have the mindset to be a programmer you'll pick up other languages very quickly, while it would be better to have that knowledge right now I wouldn't say that's a deal breaker for a potential employer. Knowing what to do is the important thing, the how to do it in a given language is mostly syntax.

If you didn't have the mindset you probably wouldn't be in the position to go for these jobs.

The CV looks good to me, I would probably back off a little in the italics, but very clear and it didn't set off my bull shit meter.

______
Rob

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:29:25 AM by Graynomad »
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:57:02 AM »
Just to let You guys know - I got the job as Simulation Engineer (currently work for Ford) with this CV. Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline Graynomad

• Helpful? 7
    • Skype - grayn0mad
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:33 AM »
Well done.

______
Rob
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:01:06 AM »
Congratulations! Simulation engineering seems to be an extremely fast growing field. I know it has been around for quite a while, but with faster and faster computers for modeling and simulation - that field appears to be taking off like IT jobs did back in the day.

Have you ever attended any of the modeling and simulation related conferences? We have quite a few here in the States.
-garrett

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
Hi,

Just to let You guys know - I got the job as Simulation Engineer
Congratulations!

So, in essence, you only have to simulate an engineer   :P   :D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 06:49:35 AM »
So, in essence, you only have to simulate an engineer   :P   :D
In essence, yes  :P  ;D

Have you ever attended any of the modeling and simulation related conferences? We have quite a few here in the States.
No, not yet. It's only beginning of second month for me with the company. One conference is coming up in September.

Get Your Ad Here