go away spammer

Author Topic: A platform to Test your Swam A.I. - Robocode  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Trigger_HappyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
A platform to Test your Swam A.I. - Robocode
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Hey guys I'm an avid coder and I came across this platform about a year ago, it's a really neat way to test your swarm algorithms and your combat robot Algos, the platform is called Robocode. It's a Java based environment ( implementing your ideas in an Object Oriented Platform is very simple). Here's a small write up on it :

"Robocode is an Open Source educational game started by Mathew Nelson (originally provided by IBM). The game is designed to help people learn to program in Java and enjoy the experience . It is very easy to start - a simple robot can be written in just a few minutes - but perfecting a bot can take months or more."(yes I copied this extract from Wikipedia :P)

But check it out here:
http://robocode.sourceforge.net/
http://robowiki.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/robocode/

It's free and it's loads of fun!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: A platform to Test your Swam A.I. - Robocode
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »
JAVA! Thanks for showing us this!

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:07 AM »
is it really that easy

cause i am not the best coder

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
Wow, this is soo Kool!  I am definetly going to propose the idea of learning Java instead of Turing to my programming teacher next year!  What a great idea, you can learn to program AND have fun at the same time!!!  plus its a nice strategy game...

Offline Trigger_HappyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:26:21 AM »
is it really that easy

cause i am not the best coder

Trust me it's really easy to get started with robocode. Once you get a hang of reading the Java API, what your bot can do is only limited by your imagination. I'd suggest you stick with the default bots till you're a little familiar with the whole environment then move on to the user bots or you might get a little freaked by how they "OWN" you in the beginning (Sorry a bit of DotA lingo has slipped into my vocabulary :P ) . Also enable the error showing checkbox on your Java compiler options  so you can understand what errors are present in your code (It's been 2 years since I last used robocode so I don't remember EXACTLY how to get there, but if you fiddle around with the different tabs you'll find it).

JAVA! Thanks for showing us this!

\m/ I never was very happy in C or C++ cause I started off with Java!!

Have Fun!!

Offline arixrobotics

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:56:49 AM »
One of my assignments in first year computer science was to use Robocode. We had to build a robot that could defeat all the default bots.

And at the end of the semester, the we had a special lecture where the lecturer placed all the students' robots and let em fight each other!

It was the best assignment ever!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list