Author Topic: Broken PSP  (Read 4833 times)

Offline hazzer123Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Broken PSP
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:54:17 AM »
I have a broken psp and i am wondering if there is anything that i could use out of it.

Is there any chance that the screen would be useful? I have found the data sheet.
http://document.sharpsma.com/files/LQ043T3DX02_SP_122805.pdf
It looks complicated.

Has anyone had any experience with colour LCDs or anything similar?
Any tips?

Thanks
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
Re: Broken PSP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »
The gumstix guys are looking for PSP screens - maybe try posting on the gumstix mailing list - you might get someone willing to pay for it...

- Jon

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
I know how to use a typical black/white LCD.  This I have little clue.  It seems that each pixel is ran by 8 pins of each color.  I couldn't figure out a practical application for it other than making a game system out of it or a television.  Hence why they built it for PSPs and such.  I found a way you can make a laptop (very very basic) out of a microcontroller and an LCD, but they used a 2-bit LCD. 

The gumstix guys are looking for PSP screens - maybe try posting on the gumstix mailing list - you might get someone willing to pay for it...

- Jon

Money is always a good thing  :D

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Hmmm... I could make a bit of money. But for such a great screen...

Does anyone think i have a chance of displaying anything on it?

From the datasheet it looks like you just stick a byte in parallel across the 8 wires for each color and then strobe the clock signal. Along with the horizontal and vertical syncs. If i was to do it, i would initially have the 8 wires for each all joined together so that the RGB value is either 0 or 255. To make things simpler.

One thing though, is that it says that there is a minimum clock frequency of 7.83 MHz. Why is that? I was gonna try and do it with a pic running at 20Mhz but it wouldnt be fast enough. Must I run it at least this fast?

Thanks
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
put it in the front of of your computer?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
What do you mean?
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
put it in the front of of your computer?

That's an interesting idea.  Make a circuit involving a few temperature sensors that constantly take temperature of the processor temperature and others.  Well, if you're majorly into computer like me then do it  ;D  If you have a cool computer case you could implement that in and that would be wicked.   8)   I want one now... Well, I'd rather get one with a cool blue backlight.

Or, ummm.  You could make it display explicit messeges to people who enter your house?  Dunno, lots of possibilities.  Be creative  ::)

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 05:57:41 PM »
like this
 http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2006/1939/GuidingMythologyMCPC.jpg

nanobot- you into custom pc's and overclocking? ever been at eocf?

Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:49:15 AM »
Yeh thats a great idea but... I need to know how to get it to actually display something. :)

Another thing. Are there any connectors to convert the tiny FPC connector of the LCD to something more usable eg DIP?

Thanks
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
nanobot- you into custom pc's and overclocking? ever been at eocf?

Yes, I love building computers and playing with hardware as much as I do building robots.  The only problem is they're many many times more expensive than robots  :P   To a certain degree.   No I have never been to eocf.  What does it stand for?

Back on topic...

You do have the broken PSP.  The best step would be to throughly examine the insides of the PSP and perhaps see how the manufacturers put the thing together, I'm sure you can learn something from that. 

In terms of running displays, I'm not too sure.  I could create a computer program for it, I know how to do stuff like that.  Implementing something into a microchip to get it to run out of the display, I'm not too sure.  That's why I like the computer idea.  I can get a 8-bit display to work, but have never experimented into LCDs. 

I found an interesting link dealing with LCDs and computers.  Check it out.  Maybe it can at least help you with implementing the screen into something:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/modding/modding.html

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:11:13 AM by nanob0t »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list