go away spammer

Author Topic: Where to buy a worm gear?  (Read 14049 times)

Offline CentaurTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Where to buy a worm gear?
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »
Anyone know of a place to buy a inexpensive small worm gear for hobby robotics?

The only one I could find at robot objects was out of stock http://www.robotobjects.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=445

All of the other worm gears that I have found are large all metal gears that are way overkill for the project I am working on.  I also found a worm gearbox kit http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/73, but I would have to modify this for my application.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.  ~E.F. Schumacker

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Robots are awesome!

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Where to buy a worm gear?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
why do you want to use a worm gear? they are really inefficient (unless you go with an hourglass type). they are ok if you have an app where you dont want to be able to back drive it, but even in these circumstances, i'd go with a cycloidal gear.

Offline CentaurTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:08:37 PM »
Thanks a lot.  I searched on google for quite some time.  No idea why I didn't find those sites.

I'm going with the worm gear because I need an extremely high gear reduction, and the space savings with using the worm gear are useful.  Also, being able to mount the motor 90 degrees to the shaft that's being driven is nice for my situation.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.  ~E.F. Schumacker

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
bukowski, another advantage a worm gear has is that it cannot be back driven -> great for things like robot arms

Get Your Ad Here

data_list