go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon and Vista: Help!  (Read 4960 times)

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Axon and Vista: Help!
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
I have been trying for 3 days to get my computer running Vista set up to program my Axon. After struggling to get the usb bridge driver to install and work, it now says "This device cannot start." At least now it has a port number (2) and lets me access the tab to set the baud rate. I wanted to test it but Vista has discontinued their hyperterminal so I have downloaded Hilgraeve Hyperterminal, but when I click on the Axon.ht icon it opens up but it says "cannot connect to port 2".

Since I cannot test it I try to see if I can program it with the bootloader. This, of course will not install because my operating system is 64 bit.

So after 3 days of trying I have gotten nowhere. I am about to pull my hair out. How on Earth do you program an Axon with Windows Vista???
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:42:13 PM by Joe »

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Axon and Vista: Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »
Based on your post it seems your computer has a virus. You need to find it and destroy it immediately. Its often called "Windows Vista" and it can make your life absolutely hell if its on your computer and you try to do anything at all! If removal of the virus, "Windows Vista", is not possible, proceed to toss your computer into a frozen lake to ensure the virus dies.

I searched around on google a little bit but have found nothing of a solution. I see more people posting similar problems for all kinds of different things but not many solutions... perhaps do a more strict search of google?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:03:28 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline yerbie

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »
vista doesnt play nice with the usb.  I also have vista and when I connect to the usb via putty, or any other terminal, i get these
ßÍ·Þ·

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=6012.0

i tried the same procedures on xp and it works fine.

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
What do you recommend to do about the bootloader for those using 64-bit Vista? There is no m640 in the  bootloader file. There is a 644. Just use that??

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Well, I managed to program it using an XP desktop. Not what I wanted, but it gives me something to go by. But I still cannot open the  port with hyperterminal even in XP. If I double click on the Axon.ht it opens up with com3 selected and does not allow you to change it. If I try to open a new connection under com2 it says it cannot open. Tera Tem does the same thing. Nothing else is using com2. It is set up correctly in Device manager at 115200 buad 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no flow control or parity, and it says the device is working properly.

Here are the instructions word for word and where I might be going wrong:

"Download this hyperterminal config file, then double click it."

Done that. It opens up Hyperterminal with com3 and the "connection" to something (that is not identified in the device manager to be using com3) "opens" up.

"For instructions on configuring it correctly, check out my hyperterminal tutorial."

But this only tells you how to set it up with a new connection. A new connection only says "cannot open comX". If you mean set it up by going to "properties" in the File menu, it does not allow you to change this:

"Select your COM port and baud rate (115.2kbps), then click connect. You should immediately start seeing data."

There is nowhere to select baud rate when you click Axon.ht. Only if you open a new connection, which does not work either.

Can anybody help me?!?

Offline yerbie

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »
I'm currently using vista x64 without any issues anymore.  The only thing to note is the the FBOOT program will not work with 64 bit, so you'll have to get the AVRISP mkII if you want to program it.  I'm using putty (www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) to connect to my Axon.

edit:  are you sure you're using com2?  Mine is on COM4

I'm also able to set the BAUD:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:04:30 PM by yerbie »

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
It's definitely com2. I could change it...

What about the Axon.ht file. Is that being used to configure Putty?

Offline yerbie

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
What about the Axon.ht file. Is that being used to configure Putty?
no, Axon.ht isnt needed.  It's just there to help you.

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the help!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:04:38 PM by Joe »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list