Author Topic: Propeller II comming 2011  (Read 3364 times)

Offline DUKELancelotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Propeller II comming 2011
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:00:41 AM »
 The next generation of the Propeller chip is currently under development by Parallax. Nothing is certain about this chip so far, but Parallax has told the community about a lot of features they are expecting to included  8 COGs, 128K Hub RAM (tentatively Beau Schwabe has said 256K is still a possibility), 256K ROM, 92 I/Os, and 160Mhz.

Early on they had talked about going with 16 COGs, but due to silicon size and other considerations they have gone back to 8. This may change, or they might do another version later with 16.

In order to have 256KB RAM and 128KB ROM, they had to expand. They decided to go all the way to 32bit.

ADC/DAC  "EVERY one of the 92 pins will have one these babies in it, along with a comparator, a delta-sigma ADC, a delta-sigma DAC, a high speed signal/video 75-ohm DAC, pull-ups/downs, slew control, float/weak/strong HIGH/LOW combos, schmitt input w/feedback, crystal oscillator, and a few other things"

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125543

It will run at 1.8v  :(  So now we need another voltage regulator in our circuit.
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline macdad-

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 5
    • LoneWolf's Circuits
Re: Propeller II comming 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »
*Jaw has dropped to floor*

That has just beaten the original Prop and then some! I mean seriously, they have multiple dedicated DACs/ADCs. Heck the Video DAC is already set to the standard 75 ohms  ;)

This is essentially its own one-chip super-core, I wonder how the instruction cycles are going to turn out if they do decide to stay with 8 cores, of course the original had each core with a 32-bit data bus(Right?) so it'll just be a higher clock frequency.

The 1.8V operating voltage is a downer, but understandable considering the clock frequency and all the PLLs and Video DACs running. Another possible downer is that with 92 I/O, this will not be in a through-hole package, hopefully that once they package it they atleast make the pin spacing about 0.0625".

,macdad-(Nick)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
Ya, one of major limitations of the last propeller was the lack of Analog ports so this is a very nice improvement, Though for a very high class chip Parallax should have put AD converters in the original version.
I also hope they put more than one UART for advance users.

To answer your question Parallax did say that they intend to sell a Bread Board friendly version.
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:13:19 AM »
It will run at 1.8v  :(  So now we need another voltage regulator in our circuit.
not only once, but twice one for each voltage level we had in our design (1.8V and 3.3V)
So is it 3.3V or 1.8V?

1.8V is useless for servos and just about everything else. I suspect it's optional.

The original Propeller was absolute garbage, but reading the supposed specs for the II is well . . . wow!

I wonder if their propriety programming software will be kept as such, or if they'll let the open source community in?

Parallax claims 21k man hours spent? At $30/hr, thats more than half a million bucks investment :o
(not including all the equipment needed to design ICs!)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
Propeller 2 Preliminary Feature List.
http://www.parallax.com/Propeller2FeatureList/tabid/898/Default.aspx

General:

* 32-bit, general purpose multi-core microcontroller
    * 8 identical processors (cogs)
    * Planned 128-pin SMT package(1)

Clock Speed:

* 160 MHz planned maximum clock speed(1)
    * Internal RC: 20 kHz or 20 MHz (cannot use PLL)
    * External oscillator: DC to 160 MHz (without PLL) or 10 MHz to 32 MHz (with PLL) for system clock speed of 160 MHz maximum(1)
    * PLL modes: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x input clock multiplier

Performance Metrics:

* 4-stage pipeline
    * Most instructions are single cycle
    * 1.28 BIPS (160 MIPS x 8 cogs) maximum instruction execution rate(1); assumes that all cogs are running, their pipelines are always full, and only single-cycle instructions are being executed

Memory:

* Main memory: 128 KB RAM(2) + 32 KB ROM planned
    * Cog memory: 2 KB (512 longs) cog RAM
    * Optional external 32-bit addressable SDRAM for run-time data workspace; code space is not extendable
    * Non-volatile application and data storage via external SPI EEPROM or SD card
    * Cogs can access Main Memory at each hub access window in units of 1 byte, 1 word, 1 long, or 4 contiguous quad-aligned longs.
    * Hub access window arrives for each cog in a round-robin fashion every 8 cycles.

Power Specifications:

* Core voltage: 1.8 VDC
    * I/O pin voltage: 1.8 VDC–3.3 VDC
    * Current source or sink per I/O: 40 mA
    * Total current draw @ 1.8 VDC Core, 3.3 VDC I/O, 25° C: TBD

I/O:

* 92 I/O pins total: 84 fully general purpose I/O + 8 additional general purpose I/O available after boot-up
    * Each I/O pin is planned(1) to have internal:
          o Input ADC
          o Output DAC
          o True or inverted input/output
          o Differential input/output
          o Comparator
          o Schmitt input

Counter Modules:

* 2 counter modules, each with 2 integrated waveform generators, per cog

Math:

* Hardware multiplier and divider
    * Hardware CORDIC system

Video Generation:

* Each cog has independent video generation hardware capable of VGA, Standard PAL/NTSC, and HD up to 1080p (at 30 Hz).

Code Protection and Encryption:

* Propeller application and data optionally encrypted in non-volatile storage

Supported Languages:

* Propeller 2 Spin and Propeller 2 Assembly
    * Propeller 2 Assembly is not fully backwards compatible with Propeller 1 Assembly
    * Some Propeller 1 Spin code may need to be ported to the Propeller 2

*And all I/Os can be used for SPI and I2C.

I also learned today that each cog can be used as a UART.  So that is 8 UARTs 8)

1.28 BIPS, All I can say is wow.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:18:54 PM by DUKELancelot »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list