go away spammer

Author Topic: The Role Of Robots In Space Exploration  (Read 2359 times)

Offline den wiseTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
The Role Of Robots In Space Exploration
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
The Role Of Robots In Space Exploration
within the last few decades, there has been a significant shift in the space program away from manned missions and towards the use of robots in space exploration...
more at http://www.whatisarobot.co.uk :o

Offline RobotLover17

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
Re: The Role Of Robots In Space Exploration
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
Imagine robots 3D printing / replicating themselves to mine off of hundreds of asteroids in space.. Wow!
Asteroid Mining w/Robotic 3D Printers

Offline MrWizard

• Helpful? 0
  • My cylon friend told me a killing joke......
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »
Robot exploration is the cheapest and safest way. The advantage is that they can prepare a compound where humans can work in/from at a later time. Think as robotics in building blocks so based on ID the blocks can connect together. Special connectors to "connect" automatically for life-support systems. So space-robotics is still in it's beginning. And we make small steps everytime. The parts are almost there (perhaps 60%), the knowledge partly there (it think were at 30-40% now on a scale to human IQ/capable like robots), the enigneering is nearly there (60% ??). All guessing from my part ofcourse about the percentage...

The real problem in my opinion is the money side of it all. Governments and the industry will have to join fundings, research and technology on a much wider scale. Now it is still every country for its own profit, only sharing on a very low basis. If there is a real advantage (besides mining planet Earth) and proven technology which can stand reliably against the hostile environment, the fundings will come.

But what about if one (or only a few countries) gets to space and mines everything ?

Offline T0110100101101101K

• Helpful? 1
    • Put your brochures to work for you!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
I suppose this news http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printed-rocket-engine-part-passes-key-nasa-114403773.html could be a big step in qualifying the 3D printer use.  I wonder what the most prolific fuel is readily available in space...
A robot could do my job...

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Space exploration makes sense from an economic perspective when it is cheaper than getting the same benefits locally.

Currently, we can make cheap and easy gains in efficiency that would give us a lot more benefit than any commercially reasonable benefit from space mining or whatever. Thus, we are economically a long way away from the time when space will actually make sense.

I'm just hoping that we will keep it together, politically and ecologically, until such time that space becomes interesting :-)

Offline ubiqtus

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
Space mining could be huge in a few more decades if we find that some asteroids contain solid metal.  We know metal is created when a star explodes (bigger star, bigger explosion, and more energy to create heavier metals).  We know that the earth has a solid molten iron core.  We know the moon has a core (likely metallic) because Earth's gravity skewed the moon's core towards us, hence the moon does not rotate. 

Asteroid cores, asteroid contents?  I don't think we know, other than statistically what should be in them based on what is in Earth. if there's solid metal in some of them, and we can find those which contain solid metal with a good degree of confidence, then space mining using robots will be very profitable.  Not for the run of the mill metals, but for gold and platinum. If we find those are just floating out there in big chunks under a few dozen feet of dusty rock, a lot of people will be sending robots up to find it.

Offline T0110100101101101K

• Helpful? 1
    • Put your brochures to work for you!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
Is it any surprise that Japan would send a robot as "company" for astronauts? 

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-launches-talking-robot-astronaut-kirobo-space-212242082.html

I guess if they don't like what he says, they can switch him off.  I hope he has been programmed with a bunch of jokes!

A robot could do my job...

Get Your Ad Here