go away spammer

Author Topic: Multiplo  (Read 2138 times)

Offline NERDsoldierTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Multiplo
« on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
I am by no means an expert on robots, rather still in the learning phase in the beginning of it all. However, I ran across this:

http://multiplo.org/

What do you all think of it? I think that its an interesting concept that would allow for 3D prototyping of any idea you have for a robot build that could then be translated into other media, allowing prototyping to run much smoother.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Multiplo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »
Yea, the 'erector set' concept which can be great for prototyping ideas.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
Personally, I'd rather want "rawer" materials like extruded aluminum profile and brackets.
Having the mechanics be part of the system means you're a little more "locked in."
Check out 80/20, OpenRail, OpenBeam or MakerBeam for examples. A good drill and some bolts will then mount whatever you want to that chassis.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
I think that the reason it interests me is that while parts are more locked in like you mentioned, I am still learning and for someone else still learning I am sure that they would have more then enough freedom working with something like this.

And besides, if I am going to give some money to a company that makes robots, I would rather give it to this one, after all they are trying to make robotics education much more affordable for anyone that would want to include it as a part of an educational program.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
Personally, I'd rather want "rawer" materials like extruded aluminum profile and brackets.
Having the mechanics be part of the system means you're a little more "locked in."
Check out 80/20, OpenRail, OpenBeam or MakerBeam for examples. A good drill and some bolts will then mount whatever you want to that chassis.
I'll certainly check those out too!

I think the other big thing I like about it besides the prototyping ability would the be fact that I really don't need anything other then basic tools- and if I like what I have created I will still have all the parts unaltered really unless I chose to do something- and then have the ability to go from there and make something more permanent.  8)

It was also suggested to me that I pick up a bread board and use that to test any electronics that I put together, I don't know if I should though.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
You absolutely need a solderless breadboard if you want to play around with electronics.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
What about an oscilloscope and a multimeter? or is that too in depth?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
You need a multimeter pretty early on. It's useful even for just checking batteries, and keeps being useful for the rest of your life :-)

You can use an oscilloscope early on, but it's not "required" until later. Depending on how you proceed, a logic analyzer (Saleae Logic or similar) might be a better choice at that time -- digital or analog signals? You can totally wait until you know the answer to that question!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
I getcha, what do you build your robots for?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
what do you build your robots for?

For fun!

Also, for robomagellan and Mech Warfare.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
Mechwarfare looks fun but... I dunno about humanoids... they walk funny still.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list