Electronics > Electronics

ROV

(1/4) > >>

MECH_ENG:
Hello all I have a question concerning power supplies and motor drivers. The current plan for this ROV will require an AC--->DC converter to act as the power supply. This will power the Pololu VNH3SP30 motor drivers (3) and six thrusters. Two Arduino Unos will be the brain, these will be powered by onboard batteries or batteries at the surface. Are there any concerns with using a power supply to power the motor drivers and motors over using a battery? Should I expect issues or will this function fine. This is a Senior Design project and I just want to be sure I have everthing covered. Thank you!

newInRobotics:
Powerwise, constant power supply is always better than battery. The only issue I see is cable length, how You ROV is going to be mobile while constantly plugged-in?

MECH_ENG:
Its designed to operate in a tank, the tether will be 50 ft long with analog inputs for controls through an ethernet line and 12 gauge wire for power.

Mastermime:
Yes newInRobotics is correct.  Power supplies can supply a constant voltage for longer periods of times as opposed to batteries which can only supply a peak voltage for a small period of time before it dips.  I think the only constraint is the tether.

Soeren:
Hi,

--- Quote from: MECH_ENG on November 08, 2012, 09:47:38 AM ---Are there any concerns with using a power supply to power the motor drivers and motors over using a battery? Should I expect issues or will this function fine. This is a Senior Design project and I just want to be sure I have everthing covered. Thank you!

--- End quote ---
A well made power supply should work fine, but you need to install large buffer capacitors at the RO(U)V, to handle start current spikes and the effect of cable loss.

What do you have in mind for the supply (voltage/current) and how large is the loading?
(These numbers will tell the needed size of the capacitors).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version