Author Topic: Reusing parts  (Read 2797 times)

Offline mfrancis107Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Reusing parts
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
I'm just now getting into building robots, but I have a question about reusing electronics. 

I know some people who own a company in which they get medical equipment from the military, and they get a lot of electronics.  Is it possible to take things off of the boards and reuse them.  And if so is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Reusing parts
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
hell yes!
old electronics are almost always a goldmine for components!
pretty much anything that would have a decent circuit in it will work
eg. tv, computer, ps2 etc... some things will not have many components in them such as toasters, kettles etc...
basic electronics.
i would keep an eye out for monitors, computers, anything that looks like it will contain a circuit.
just remember to use caution in old electronics because of electrocution, poisoning etc...
Howdy

Offline Nuby

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »
Careful about TVs I suggest us beginners should leave them alone they have killer and i mean KILLER capacitors.

Thanks
Nuby

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »
yeah, i got the shock of my life when i went through a pc monitor last year :P hurt like all hell...
they are dangerous, but you wont get hurt if you do it carefully, with some common sense you will be fine.
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
and with computers and some other electronics the case can come in handy if your on a budget and or experimenting.

The CD drives are useful so look out for them

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:07:55 AM »
medical equipment from the military!!! OMG i wish you lived next door. those item's will have very high grade circuits in them, Also not the military use's dale and 4 band resisters, you will need to research how to read them. (don't worry its easy) any medical equipment is always optically isolated to prevent shock. lots and lots of good parts can be acquired from medical devices, among others you can get various sensors and because its medical / military there way more accurate then the carp i get out of dumpsters.  :P

You have a potential Gold Mine that can quickly get you up to level with allot of us providing you do the research to go with it...
The Mongoose: Natures Assassin
The Hyena: Nature's A$$hole
And.....
The Lemming: Natures Retard

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:33:36 AM »
Hi,

I know some people who own a company in which they get medical equipment from the military, and they get a lot of electronics.  Is it possible to take things off of the boards and reuse them.  And if so is there anything I should keep an eye out for?
Don't stop at the electronics parts, lots of medical pliers and such can be a great addition to your toolbox.
The electronics parts may or may not be usefull, but I think that you should go more for the electromechanical components, like motors, relays, solenoids, potentiometers and such, as most semiconductors will probably have special markings which can be impossible to trace - but that will have to be tested.

The precision of the components shouldn't be the driving force, but rather the utility of what you find. Don't just stock up on something that you'll never use.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
Very good point soeren, medical tools are great in fact i have a pair of clamps (needle nose plier looking things that lock closed) they are great for little parts.

The precision of the components shouldn't be the driving force, but rather the utility of what you find. Don't just stock up on something that you'll never use.

On the contrary you should stock up on everything but don't go over board, a few of these components a few of those components just because you don't need them now doesn't mean you will never need them, Or if your in a robotic/electronic club or group others might be able to use what you don't want or need. trading surplus components between people is another good way of getting parts you do need. also parts that you could possibly use include parts that you don't know what they are, it doesn't hurt to hang o to a few of these, so when you do Finally find that lost pdf you wont be kicking yourself for throwing away a awesome / or helpful component
And.....

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
best thing to do is get a propane torch and blast the solder side then give it a good whack! unless the components are hooked in you'll get a nice selection of goodies!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
wont a propane torch over heat a number of components.

But that is a good idea though for some components, not all.

Have you done it before, did any components over heat?

Offline mfrancis107Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »
best thing to do is get a propane torch and blast the solder side then give it a good whack! unless the components are hooked in you'll get a nice selection of goodies!

wont a propane torch over heat a number of components.

But that is a good idea though for some components, not all.

Have you done it before, did any components over heat?

This is actually what I really want to know.  What specific components are reusable, and what's the best way to get them off a board.

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
well, if you have a computor to scrap, there should be 2 DC fans that you can reuse(i have).
 The cd drives have 3 motors each(1 to move the disc tray, 1 to spin the cd and a stepper motor that moves the laser.(i have only got the disc tray motor to work so far)).

The computer will also have some handy cables that you can salvage.

An idea is you can connect the entire computer to a robot, that is what i plan to do, so if you want to do that don't dismantal the computers mother board or power supply and HDD, and maybe a cd drive.

The HHD(are no good for any thing as far as i am concerned)

And i have not yet explored the floppy disc drive yet.

I'll think of some more and post soon.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:18:41 AM »
and the screws out of electronics come in handy if you are repairing some thing or need a screw or two for a prototype.

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:35 AM »
mother boards also contain voltage regulators(sometimes), heatsinks, A/D converters, pin headers, Led's usually red or green, the older 386/ and 486 pc towers are best to look for, no one wants them so there mostly free and because there old enugh have alot of salvageabl componets.
And.....

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
i find propane torches are much easier on parts (especially resistors) then soldering irons or heat guns when it comes to desoldering. you can liquefy the solder so fast that the component doesn't get warm at all if you do it right and a good tap makes them fall right out.  resistors are good pickings imo since it's a pain going out and buying 2 resistors of a particular value. voltage regulators are always good since they're usually a tad expensive. chips are often obscure and an absolute pain to desolder so i'd avoid it if you don't need that particular chip. capacitors are a bit iffy i find. electrolytic caps REALLY hate desoldering and often get faulty with age anyway. ceramic caps are usually good but i'd only go for them when i know i need them. if you get computer cases or old electronics that has a metal cover then make sure you save it! the sheet metal from those and a pair of tin snips can be turned into anything! just look into things and see what they can possibly be ocasionally. a cd drive can be a linear actuator if you need or old lumber bits can be made into a chassis. the possibilities are endless!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

data_list