Author Topic: Advice needed for a project  (Read 3598 times)

Offline ladidaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Advice needed for a project
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »
Hey guys. I need some advice on implementing a project for my school. This probably doesn't have much to do with robots, but I figured you guys could give me valuable advice.

For my project I am required to build something like this:

http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/06/13/top-5-spinning-led-displays/

Basically, it's a single column of LEDs spinning at high speeds to give the illusion of a cylindrical image.

Most of the designs I found online use a PIC microcontroller, and the circuitry is mounted onto the rotating platform. Unfortunately, one of the mandatory requirements in my project is that I have to use a certain piece of equipment (and software) that requires a connection to a computer. To be more specific, I am REQUIRED to use a Digital I/O card, which will be used to trigger the lighting of the LEDs, and the program must be written in LabVIEW.

A major problem for me right now is to interface the output ports of the Digital I/O to the LEDs. Wiring directly will obviously result in entangled wires once the platform starts rotating. The plan right now is to use ball bearings mounted on the motor shaft as electrical contacts. The wires from the stationary parts can be soldered onto the outer ring of the bearing, while rotating parts can be soldered to the inner ring (which rotates with the motor shaft). But I will be using around 15 LEDs, and that requires 15 ball bearings mounted onto the motor shaft.

Any advice on the implementation? Looking for mechanical parts is somewhat difficult where I stay and I haven't been able to get an extension for my motor shaft that is long enough to hold 15 bearings.

I am getting despreate as my deadline is approaching. I would appreciate any advice I can get on this project, because I lack a lot of experience, particularly in the mechanical aspects.

paulstreats

Re: Advice needed for a project
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:28:05 AM »
you could mount the batteries and led's and an mcu onto a platform with the motor. Use the motor body to turn the platform and the shaft mounted onto a plate at the bottom. Use your digital i/o card in conjunction with an ir led to send data using ir to the mcu on the platform which can the light the led's

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:48:45 AM »
two ideas . . .

get a bluetooth wireless transmitter that transmits all data to the spinning part

use wire brushes (containing signal and power) contacting spinning rings - those rings connected to LED's or something else . . . best maybe to use I2C I think if you are allowed . . .

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »
Look into those rotating phone cord/ethernet cord detanglers.

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Softalk-Softalk-Twisstop-Clear

- Jon

ps - you can do 15 LEDs with 16 wires...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list