Author Topic: AVR Studio 4 and Robostix  (Read 4865 times)

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
AVR Studio 4 and Robostix
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
I'm using AVR Studio 4 and finding a lack of documentation on how to set up a project for the Robostix in standalone mode. I'm downloading the bootloader to gumstix.

1.) Put the bootloader program on my robotsix by importing the files to AVR Studio? AVR Studio and WinAVR converts the file to .hex and downloads to Robostix?

2.)  Start a new project in AVR Studio by choosing New Project->AVR GCC->AVR Simulator->ATmega128

Any good tutorials on using AVR Studio for Robostix out there?

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
Re: AVR Studio 4 and Robostix
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »
sorry... I'm a gcc kind of guy  :-\

Offline DomoArigato

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
I use AVR Studio and Robostix with AVRISP.  There's really not a lot to it once you get it set up, just create a new AVR GCC project if you want to program in C. Compile it, then dowload it to the robostix using the programmer.  You can also download a precompiled file.  Or start an assembly project.  Are there any specifics giving you trouble that I could help with?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
I use AVR Studio and Robostix with AVRISP.  There's really not a lot to it once you get it set up, just create a new AVR GCC project if you want to program in C. Compile it, then dowload it to the robostix using the programmer.  You can also download a precompiled file.  Or start an assembly project.  Are there any specifics giving you trouble that I could help with?

Yes I want to install John Hyland's serial bootloader on my AVR bootloader stk-500
http://websvn.hylands.org/listing.php?repname=Projects&path=%2Favr%2Fbootloader-stk500%2F&rev=0&sc=0

Do I load the code into AVR Studio first and then download it to my robostix?

Offline DomoArigato

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
I've never used a boot loader, but if you open up AVR Studio then tools - Program AVR.  You can use that wizard to load any file onto your AVR.  Make sure you've set the fuses.  You can find directions at this website. http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Robostix

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:24:13 AM »
I can't get this program to build in AVR Studio. http://websvn.hylands.org/listing.php?repname=Projects&path=%2Favr%2Fbootloader-stk500%2F&rev=0&sc=0
Looking at the makefile it looks like it is because it is meant for Linux/Unix OS.

Where can I get a bootloader for gumstix ATmega128 that will compile in AVR Studio for Windows?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

data_list