Author Topic: Touch screen used for controls  (Read 1996 times)

Offline bhsmithTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Touch screen used for controls
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has used a touchscreen lcd for turning on lights, starting engines, or anything like that.  The project I'm going to work on is using a lcd touch screen and program it to turn on my motorcycle and another one to turn on lights and a tv.  From what I've read so far on how to do it, because of the higher volts and currents you can't use transistors as a switch, you would have to use a relay.  I've found this, http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=89, that is a standalone lcd touchscreen.  I don't know what else I would need to accomplish this task, or if there is a better way then to use this touch screen and a relay.  Thanks for the help!!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Touch screen used for controls
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
Well, you would have to put a microcontroller in there somewhere...
Hooking up a relay to a touch screen just wouldn't work.
The microcontroller would need to read what the touch screen is saying and do accordingly.
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:17:37 PM »
From what I understand about the LCD screen, that I posted the link to, has some kind of built in microcontroller. It's a stand alone system, which is why I want it. I have the axon but I have other plans for it.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »
The serial platform allows users to develop their application using their favorite micro-controller and software development tools. In short, the uOLED-32024-P1T(SGC) display module, with an integrated touch screen, offer one of the most flexible embedded graphics solutions available.
This module connects to another microcontroller via serial interface. The microcontroller onboard is only to process the image.
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
If I have to get another microcontroller then I will.  I looked at some that would probably do the job.  Are there any touch screen and microcontroller combinations that you think would be good together.  I know the Inex touch screen has a microcontroller on it. (http://www.robotshop.us/inex-pic-itouch-qvga-touchscreen-educational-board.html)  Do you think this would work?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
I just received the user manual for the touch screen from RobotShop.us and it states:

The μOLED-3202X-P1 series are a compact and cost effective all in one ‘SMART’ display modules using the latest state of the art Active Matrix OLED (AMOLED) technology with an embedded PICASO-GFX graphics controller that delivers ‘stand-alone’ functionality to any project. The ‘easy to learn and use’ 4D Graphics Language (4DGL) with vast built in library functions will allow rapid application development.

4DGL is a graphics oriented programming language, allowing the developer to write applications in a high level syntax similar to popular languages such as BASIC, C and Pascal and run it directly on the PICASO-GFX processor embedded in the μOLED-3202X-P1 modules.

4DGL allows the user to take complete control of all available resources on that hardware platform such as the Serial Port, Graphics AMOLED Display, μSD memory card, I/O pins, etc. This eliminates the need for an external host controller/processor to drive the μOLED-3202X-P1 modules via serial commands. It provides the user complete control over the hardware module allowing them to quickly develop powerful applications.
www.4dsystems.

as far as I can see by looking at this manual, it can do everything that I need it to do.  I can send the manual if you would like to see it.  I could still be wrong about this display though.  I just want to make sure of what I'm getting before I get it.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »
Hi,

Yes, you can use it stand alone.

From the data sheet:
"• 16 x General Purpose I/O pins. Upper 8 bits can
be used as an I/O Bus for fast 8-bit parallel data
transfers.
• 2 x 30 pin headers for I/O expansion and future
plug-in daughter boards."

It also play 16 bit wave files  ;D

If the manual you've got is different from what is on the web site, I'd like a copy, as this is a smart little display, that I might have to get hold of.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
I posted the wrong link to the one that I want.  I thought they were all standalone touchscreen systems and upon further examination they aren't.  Here is the one that I have ordered.  http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=23  You can order them straight from the website or from Robotshop.us.