go away spammer

Author Topic: pipe cutter  (Read 2453 times)

Offline pomprockerTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
pipe cutter
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
This is actually a question regarding a plumbing problem, but it may apply to constructing a robot!

I need to cut off some of the 5/8" copper pipe coming out of the wall under the sink because the end of it has been connected to the old angle stop for about 30 years and it all out of round and scratched up. I can't get the new compression fitting and sleeve to make a good seal on it. Therefore, I need to cut off about an inch or two of the copper pipe so i can get to the good clean round surface.

I guess I would need to cut the pipe and then debur it because i need a good clean flush cut. Can anyone recommend a pipe cutter and debur tool for 5/8" copper pipe? I've seen the kind you twist around and there is a ratcheting kinda, and they come in all different prices...

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: pipe cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:23 PM »
Actually, you don't need as clean of a cut as you might think for a compression fitting.  Just hack saw it off and clean it up with some sand paper.  The compression fitting will seal fine since compresses around the pipe, not onto the end.  The fitting allows for some error in the cut-off.  Obviously you can't cut it off at a 30 degree angle, but you'll be able to get close enough.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:50:55 PM by ArcMan »

Offline pomprockerTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: pipe cutter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »
hey you're right, why didnt i realize that!

thanks!!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list