Author Topic: Need help with the blackfin camera please  (Read 2354 times)

Offline javilaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Need help with the blackfin camera please
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »
Hello everybody:
Some months ago I purchased a blackfin camera for my senior design project, it was working fine until we accidentally damaged it. We then, bought a new one but this new one does not seem to be working right. We connected it to a rs232 and tried to get it to respond to the V command in hyperterminal but all it printed out were WWWWWWWWs . We sent it back to surveyor and they told us that the camera was working fine. Now, when I got it back, it still does the same thing.
I figure it would be worth a shot to reinstall the firmware and when I did it, the V command started printing out the firmware version like is supposed to. The thing is that when I used the console the camera only prints out a greenish image that constantly moves vertically.
Also, if I disconnect the power from the camera and plug it back on, it goes back into non responsive mode only printing the WWWWWW.
Below is the printout that I get from the camera once I installed the firmware.  Everything looks fine as far as I know. Then I unplugged it and plugged it again and you can see the WWWWWW s
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC##Xmodem success. Count:    109952
                                                      ##zZ boot image write coun
t:    131072
            ##Version - TVM SRV-1 Blackfin - 08:06:54 - May  8 2008
                                                                   WWWWWWWßßßßß
Am I doing something wrong?? Is the camera actually not working properly??
Can anybody give me some ideas?> PLEASE
Thanks in advance

Offline thx123

• Helpful? 0
Re: Need help with the blackfin camera please
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
Hi,

Can you post a little more info on your blackfin setup? How are you interfacing this to your pc(what pins)?

Also make sure you have the latest firmware (7/2010)

If you just have the blackfin module and hooked it up to your pc, what's the baudrate you are using? I know by default the blackfin alone ships with the baudrate of 115,200. You also have to ground pin 17 as well as use either a usb-serial adapter for 3.3vdc.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
I am using the RX TX pins to my RS232. 115k baud rate. Pin grounded. It is the second blackfin that I have used. It does not recognize any firmware version unless I try to reinstall it and then it recognizes the recovery file with the 2008 version but when I try to install any of the new versions it goes through the motions but never does anything. it stays on the 2008 until I reset it and then it does not respond to the V command on the terminal.
I am trying to get the surveyor people to exchange the camera for a new one.
This second camera has never worked for me, the first one worked from the beginning.

Offline thx123

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:05:09 AM »
Okay, so your saying you have the blackfin RX/TX pins connected to your RS232, but you cannot directly connect the blackfin to your serial port, the blackfin is a 3.3vdc device, you need something to drop the voltage down to 3.3vdc from your serial port on your pc or you can ruin the blackfin.

What I am talking about can be found here:
http://www.surveyor.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1200515001

If you already have something to convert the voltage, did you follow this recovery here?

http://www.surveyor.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1205225367

I had to do this a few times because I missed the step where you have to replace the jumper on 7/8 before uploading the new firmware after loading the recovery image.

Also make sure you download the exact recivery image that they are talking about, otherwise you will end up with the same problems,

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »
Yeah, I have done all that. it does not work. since I got the camera it has never worked. I should have came working.
I have a 3.3 level shifter. The camera loads the recovery file fine, but it never loads the new one.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list