Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Steering with 12v motor

<< < (2/3) > >>

jwatte:
I fixed the link. The thing I linked to will do what you want, for cheaper than the Sabretooth. (Assuming you only need up to 7 amps continuous power.)

I still don't understand how "turning the motor forwards and backwards" will actually make you steer correctly. What is the mechanical hook-up of this motor? What do you do to make your robot go straight ahead?

If *all* you want to do is go backwards, or forwards, or don't go at all, then a simple H-bridge motor controller is even cheaper.
This one is $28 and does up to 9A continuous:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/705

soninja8:
Thanks, I'm most likely going to get the 18v15 for future proofing.

And to explain what I'm doing: A 30cc engine will be powering the back wheels with a clutch and the throttle will be controller by one servo. For my steering I am using one electric motor controlled by a motor driver to move two bars that are connected to the front two wheels.

jwatte:

--- Quote ---For my steering I am using one electric motor controlled by a motor driver to move two bars that are connected to the front two wheels
--- End quote ---

Do you have any feedback there? If not, how will you be able to center the steering to go straight ahead?

soninja8:
I see what you're saying, but I will not need them to return to forward position, as the vehicle itself will not be going very fast and I will always have my finger on the control.

Tommy:

--- Quote ---For my steering I am using one electric motor controlled by a motor driver to move two bars that are connected to the front two wheels.
--- End quote ---
soninja8, have you considered spring loading the steering axle to a center position(straight), gear the one electric motor
in a way that it can overcome the spring force yet spring back to center when motor power is removed.

Tommy   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version