Engineering: The Automated Turret w/ LEGOs
5 (13.9%)
VCR Robot
6 (16.7%)
How to turn a bulldozer into a tank-like robot
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: September 21, 2007, 09:19:32 AM

Author Topic: VOTE! $200 Robot Contest!  (Read 19212 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: VOTE! $200 Robot Contest!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
I have already made my decision, but here are some suggestions Ive compiled that you can do in 20 minutes to fix up what you have:

Dont put !!! and the end of every sentence. Usually a period will be fine :P

If you have code posted, instead put your code in a zip file and upload/link to it. Pseudocode is ok.

If your tutorial is really long, consider dividing it into multiple pages - for example, introduction page, construction on another page, then results on the third. Its entirely up to you, pages just help the reader prepare for the next big step. Dont forget to cross link them.

If possible, include text descriptions next to the pics. For example, if you have a pic with standoffs, just say something like 'screwing in standoffs into drilled holes' or something like that. I like to intermix my pics with the text.

Dont forget to grammar/spell check. I like to copy/paste my stuff into word to do it for me ;D

And just a reminder, the goal of your tutorial is not really to show off your creation, but instead to teach others how to build it.

In other news, I am declaring this contest a success. So I am officially announcing that the next contest will be sometime early next year, and with a much bigger $ reward. Most of the rules will stay the same, the only big change will be in the voting structure. So feel free to start now on your robot!

Offline creedcradle

• Helpful? 0
  • Physics Robotics
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »
I want to take a chance on the next robot contest here in SoR,

I just hope i can make a nice BEAM robot entry next year...

im not hoping to win but difinitely i will join the contest..

LEARN TO SHARE and SHARE TO LEARN!

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »
Results are out!

1st - Brandon121233 - Build a wall avoiding robot!
2nd - Ro-Bot-X - VCR Robot
Hon. Mention - TrickyNekro - How to turn a bulldozer into a tank-like robot

Just a few comments . . . Ive noticed external sites have already linked to each of your tutorials, meaning each of you have produced very useful tutorials!

TrickyNekro, you made an amazing comeback with your robot and so I grant you an honorable mention. Its a new rule I made up last minute :P

As for 1st and 2nd place, just tell me where/who to mail your US $100 check to ;D

Im thinking about the next contest having a due date around late February, so you get the xmas holidays to make your robot. The prize money will be higher, but Ill probably change the voting structure. It depends a lot on the number of contestants, too. More people, more prizes.

Just IM me if you want a web account so you can get started with your robot entry ;D

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
congratulations!

I hope to beready with my robot and tutorial by february, let's hope i can find enough time between school work... :-\ :)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
I have managed to get a 3rd place prize from a new sponsor!

The prize is a DVD (in NTSC format) called Stolen Life.

"Hot on the heels of Killer Robot comes ?Stolen Life?; the latest 3D animated feature from Nanoflix. Stolen Life is true Future Noir. Now available on DVD, this dark and moody Sci-fi detective mystery stars Claudia Black and Chris Jones. Sci-fi fans know Claudia from Farscape and Stargate SG-1. Video game fans know Chris Jones from the legendary and groundbreaking Tex Murphy series of interactive adventures."

The trailer:

[youtube=425,350]wU5DXScNJHo[/youtube]

TrickyNekro, I hope you have a DVD player!

Get Your Ad Here