Author Topic: HELP for Rescue Robot.  (Read 2466 times)

Offline fantasypriestTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
HELP for Rescue Robot.
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Hi guys, warm greetings. I'm a student from Malaysia (Degree of comm. and electronics). I'm doing my final year project this year. I've this project title "Rescue robot" proposed by own. I've been doing research about this... I really need help and ideas from you guys about the schematic and what should I do... I'm new to robots. Since I'm doing this project alone I really need to finish all the parts as soon as possible.. If there is enough time then i'll add features to the robot...

The project objectives:
(i) To connect and transmit video between laptop (main station) and the rescue robot.
(ii) To be able to control the rescue robot to move in four directions which is front, back, left and right.

Project Specifications:
(1) Obstacle Detection
IR sensor comparator circuits to detect obstacles.
(2) Motor actuation
Either DC or servo motor, I'm still doing research about this.
(3) System integration using microncontroller
PIC16F... is preferable
(4) Communication between laptop (main station) and rescue robot
The main station and robot can be communicate wirelessly. Main station is able to control the movement of the robot by pressing W (move forward), A ( turn left), S(move backwards), D (turn right) for example.

Things that I've done in research :
(1) I've got my H-bridge circuit (attached photo)

I know I've to work on small parts first and slowly build up everything. I really need guidance for this and some helpful schematic diagrams or links ! Please help !

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: HELP for Rescue Robot.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
Wireless data communication http://www.digi.com/xbee/

Wireless Video communication:  Check out any wireless security camera setups. 

DC Scooter Motor
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/motors1.html

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
To start with, why the bloody hell did You undertake such project if robotics is alien for You?

In Your post You did not ask any specific questions, hence we don't know what exact help do You need. If you hope that someone will give You link or tutorial how to build what You want to build - sorry to disappoint You.

Regarding Your H-bridge - it will not work as You expect, because high side transistors are NPN and not PNP.
Plus, if You plan to use H-bridge, then You will want to use motors and not servos, as servos do not require H-bridges.

Talking of microcontrollers, have You ever done any microcontroller programming? Or any programming at all?

Have You done any soldering? Have You ever tried building MCU? If not, then You'd probably be better off with ready made MCU, such as Axon or Arduino, or something similar.

If You use microcontroller, then why do You want to use IR sensor with comparator? Another question, if You are planning to controll robot Yourself, why do You need IR sensor at all?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Yes I was just making some educated guests on what you needed.  I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.  Tell us more about what you want this robot to accomplish besides it rescuing.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:27:35 AM »
You don't want the PIC16Fxxx . . . it's a 15 year old microcontroller. Would you use a 15 year old laptop to run Windows? :P

Watch these three below videos for ideas:

Wireless Robot w/ Axon Mote

Robot 3D Scanning and Mapping

iRobot Create w/ Adaptive Mapping

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi,

You don't want the PIC16Fxxx . . . it's a 15 year old microcontroller. Would you use a 15 year old laptop to run Windows? :P
That's simply not correct!
PIC16F... refers to a controller family of course and the PIC16-family is constantly evolved and new ones are introduced several times a year. But, you may argue of course, that Microchip has got a longer experience with this (probably why they net more than 750 times what Atmel does)

I don't see any reason for the comparison to the abilities of a laptop with a particular OS either, as this is quite a different potato.

However, with the OP's lack of experience, I'd recommend upscaling a bit, with an assembled board like the ChipKits that brings 32-bit high speed processing into the reach of beginners, with an Arduino look&feel to the programming, at prices starting at $27.

ChipKit Max32 Digilent and DesignSpark

Controlling up t0 85 servos (only 10 shown)
ChipKIT PIC32 Software RC Servo library demonstration
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
That's simply not correct!
PIC16F... refers to a controller family of course and the PIC16-family is constantly evolved and new ones are introduced several times a year.
oops, you're right. For some reason in my head I was thinking of the 16F877, which is really old. I didn't realize Microchip still uses the 16F prefix/architecture for their newest chips.

I take back what I said!

Get Your Ad Here