Author Topic: Two transistor Motor Driver Information  (Read 1985 times)

Offline jsmokerTopic starter

• Helpful? 2
Two transistor Motor Driver Information
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
I have a two transistor motor driver and I'm looking for a thorough information page on it.  I cannot use an H-bridge for this application.  I repeat, please do not suggest just using an H-bridge.  Does anyone know of a site that has more information on the two-transistor motor contoller.  I've included a .jpg for the driver circuit.  I've hear it called a t-circuit, but that didn't show up in Google either.  I'm looking for information like, actual name (if there is one) pros, cons, deadband issues and solutions, basically stuff that you would put on a wiki page (which I might do afterwards cause there isn't one for it at least that links from the motor controller page like there is for H-bridge).

Thanks!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Two transistor Motor Driver Information
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
Hi,

I've hear it called a t-circuit, but that didn't show up in Google either.  I'm looking for information like, actual name (if there is one) pros, cons, deadband issues and solutions, basically stuff that you would put on a wiki page (which I might do afterwards cause there isn't one for it at least that links from the motor controller page like there is for H-bridge).
A T-circuit is something entirely different!
It's commonly called a Half Bridge (some call it a half H-bridge, since two of them mirrored gives an H-bridge, but the name must be born in the mind of a dyslexic).

Pro: Only takes half the power elements of a Full Bridge.
Con: You need twice the voltage to get the same job done.
Deadband: Is something you resolve before such a simple circuit.

No need to jot down your own wiki - you can find tonnes of material on the Half Bridge (it's even mentioned on Wikipedias page on the H-bridge and most pages on the H-bridge worth their salt will have at least a paragraph or two on them (and there isn't really material for more in a Half Bridge).

A much better solution, when you don't want a Full Bridge/H-Bridge, is a relay (+ a MOSFET if you need speed control).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives