Author Topic: Image Processing with Microcontroller  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Engineer3004Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Image Processing with Microcontroller
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
My partner and I have a fair amount of image processing knowledge, and have some micro controller experience, but we need some help putting the two together. Essentially, we have a simple image processing program that runs pretty quickly on our computers, but we need to set it up with a camera and microcontroller, which is something we've never done. We have to take about 10 images over 2 seconds, and then we have about a minute to process them. Cost is a big deal for us, so RoBoard is out and we need a res of .3M or better.

Now you know the constraints of the project. Right now, we've been looking at using an Arduino for their cost, our personal experience, and the vast amount of knowledge out there. We've also been talking about a CMOS cam like the one here (http://www.ladyada.net/products/camera/). However, we know that Arduino was never meant to handle that much data, and as a result, we've had difficulty finding people who actually use Arduinos to download images, rather than simply control feed. As a result, we don't know where to look for information on forming the connection.

Let me know if this is feasible, or if someone has some experience to help. If you have any better suggestions for how to do what we're doing, that would be nice to. Thank you.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
Re: Image Processing with Microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
I know nothing about image processing except that it takes a lot of processing. If I'm right about that much you might want to look at something with more horsepower like an ARM processor. For example the Beaglebone isn't expensive and has a lot more power than an 8-bit processor.

Joe

Offline Engineer3004Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Image Processing with Microcontroller
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
I've looked it over, and I think you're right, BeagleBone is an excellent option over Arduino because it offers USB-Camera interface & an ethernet jack. Of course, now I know even less about what I'm doing, but I will learn.

data_list