Author Topic: Design for 16-18' aircraft carrier.  (Read 3138 times)

Offline ToradoreTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Design for 16-18' aircraft carrier.
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
hmm seems i thought i was stalled to soon. with more conversations i have come up with new direction to keep going yay! :-)

my thing is as i move along i want to be sure next step will mesh with prior step. which is why i stalled when i hit high cost for controllers. I want to make sure control system is expandable easily to include future servo's and switches. Don't want to go along one line of construction to then discover to expand i need to go another way. But with research and help i think i have a cheap way to communicate with laptop on land and systems on ship. and only costs $300. but can handle over 64 servo's. was looking at all the normal 12+ channel RC controllers and freaked over price but here's my com system as is now. and its easily expandable further.

www.sparkfun.com/products/9971 x1
www.sparkfun.com/products/9970 x1
www.sparkfun.com/products/8687 x1
www.sparkfun.com/products/8690 x2
www.sparkfun.com/products/9132 x1

thats around $285.00 which is acceptable of course need to include jumpers and wires. but that won't cost much. with some wires its $300 which falls with in budget marks.

and other items im using are:
www.robotmarketplace.com/products/IFI-V885.html x1
www.robotmarketplace.com/products/IFI-V884.html x2
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-GPMM1230.html x60
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...HRC33755S.html x12

That's final servo count i am expecting. but is NOT what i am installing at launch. just a idea on what i planed to use. and total for those parts is $785 not to bad considering that amount. and first 2 parts each highly expensive. servo count can and will change so this just estimate. so so far project final cost $1070 plus shipping. and wires ill have to price locally. So that's still with in my original hoped for budget of $1,500. will need to add in hull cost and for got the 4 motors lol motors $400 total and hull will cost around $500 i guess. could be higher or lower for hull. need to hit home depot and check prices. but other wise that's.... $1970 hmm not to bad over first budget. and i did think i was under budgeting.

also need to find inexpensive on/off switches with remote control. found a few but their around $30-40 or so EACH

And of course a control program on laptop and im ready to start. No im not as experienced as you think. I wish i was though Smiley no i am doing research as well as taking what people are telling me and learning as i go. but ive always been able to catch on to new things quickly.

So all in all im back on track it seems. hope no more surprised plan changes lol but as they say all good plans and face of contact... lol hope to be starting construction soon. snow seems to be melting :-) will post pics as i go. though disclaimer. ship will be done before i start detailing work. so will look a little crude until then. more interested in functionality first :-)

but what im looking for here. is others opinion of my design as well as to find out if anyone one knows of some inexpensive on/off switches that are remote activated for firing gun a as well as turning on lights. as all this is going into a 16-18' RC aircraft carrier hybrid. also i need to find some inexpensive life feed cameras. for remote operation and to see to land planes.  

Also does any one know of some paintball guns that would work? as in just firing mechanism and ammo storage? need to be able to fire multiple shots with out having to reload them manually.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:42:33 PM by Toradore »

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
Re: Design for 16-18' aircraft carrier.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
You might want to look at hobbyking.com for servos and ESCs.

190-200A ESC -30$
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14500
-garrett

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
I did check their first actually. but the amps from my motors go up to 30amps. and those esc would burn up. thank you for checking for me :-)

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
electronize do some realy cool speed controllers

they have a special function to allow a bog standard electric motor to turn very very slowly , this means you can fit a big prop for speed but turn it oh so slowly for maneuvering

you may want side thrusters to counteract wind shear, an issue on larger models

http://www.electronize.co.uk/

I have a couple of them they are excellent, have a couple of pots on the top u can adjust speed and frequency , prop speeds can be as low as 10 rpm .  FR30HX Controller

http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

paintball can be expensive, requires co2 cylinders and are gravity fed and u cant bend shots without risking breaking the paintballs

I would go for air soft instead,
slight cheaper, very accurate up to 30 feet, range of 100+ feet if needed , lower the voltage for slow continual fire or fire single shot. Florescent pellets are an option. If you realy wanted you could sink an enemy ship or shoot a plane out of the sky on full auto lol

Airsoft fully electric 500 round magazines (some are larger) can be positioned easily and pellets can be fired down bent tubing should you require  

chinese clones are good enough for what you want
http://www.crw-airsoft.com/mp5k-automatic-gbb-smg-g-55-by-well-1385-p.asp

IDEA

buy an el cheapo netbook , stick it on the ship THEN using remote desktop control everything from your shore based laptop

Your laptop on shore displays the screen of your netbook so you are basically operating your netbook as if it was in your hand

wireless dongle on netbook and laptop for radio link ....leave your radio control at home !

you could even mount a webcam on the control tower and watch it on your laptop

mount an 8 inch omni on your carrier and a mini dish (coke can size) on you laptop if you are worried about signal strength

and you have spent money on a netbook that can be used for other purposes (unlike dedicated robo/rc hware)

or treat yourself a new laptop and stick your old one in the ship , you gotta upgrade sooner or later anyway
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:45:26 AM by azy »

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »
Australian Battle Group Intro

To be perfectly honest why don't you  make it a manned class like the ships below (solves a lot of problems and keeps the costs right down)

HMS Invincible and other manned models at Festival of the Sea.

You can batton the hatches , light up a fat one , crack open a tinny and gargle caviar with the change. Not only that it look like a real hoot (if no ones watching lol)

canoeing is so yesterday , R.C. is last millennium ....if it ain't manned its should be canned
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:08:00 AM by azy »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
I've thought of manned. was going to allow passengers and control from shore while kids in it. Given me some ideas to think on. i check them out and reply in bit. thanks :-) 

P.S on side note.. AZY do you happen to know the name Psyco?

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »
ref P.S on side note.. AZY do you happen to know the name Psyco?

No sorry, only from a film with a sleazy hotel  ::)

Ive always wanted to take of and land an RC plane on a carrier, let us know how you get on with your build
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:29:02 AM by azy »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
ahh cool movie. i know a guy in real life with same nichname as you. so was curious. gotten some parts lined up for remote controlling it. gotten further with design. even getting guns worked out

Get Your Ad Here

data_list