Author Topic: Struggling with a power configuration  (Read 1366 times)

Offline ConscriptedTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Struggling with a power configuration
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
Hello all.
I'm working on a tracked bot that will have an airsoft gun mounted on top. The contraption will be controlled via Bluetooth from a laptop. I've got almost everything figured out but could use a little help.

I'm going to be using two of THESE. One for each track. I'm planning on running them at 12v because they are rated for it and it should proved the torque and speed I'm looking for. I also need to power 2 servo's, the firing motor on the airsoft gun, and the electronics.

I know that I need at least 3 different voltage levels. I would like to minimize the number of batteries required. Would a pair of THESE be up to the task? How should I regulate the power down for the servo's and for the electronic?

Conscripted

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Struggling with a power configuration
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
Give us the expected and peak current load you think you will see at the different voltage levels, and we can help. But I have no idea what your servos, electronics, and firing motor are going to draw, and i'd have to go look at the spec sheet for the motor. So i can't be much help without knowing all that.

Offline moltrex84

• Helpful? 0
Re: Struggling with a power configuration
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
You can power everything with one battery, you need to know how much current needs and at what voltage operate each component ... Voltage diveders will lower the voltage (Using a resistor conected in series with your component) ... Example: If you need exactly 5V you can get regulators "MOFSET" that within a range they will gave you always 5V for example. The Axon 2 have one of those regulators in one of the corners ... they come in different range with different outputs ...

Hope this help.