go away spammer

Author Topic: Newbie needs some guidance: to Segway or not to Segway  (Read 1773 times)

Offline DR4296Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Newbie needs some guidance: to Segway or not to Segway
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
Greetings All !

Over the past 7 years, I've sort of fallen into a rather specialized hobby:   I try to make over-the-top Halloween costumes (for myself).... and then I attend several childrens' and adult Halloween events in them.   I've done Robocop, Ironman, War Machine, Davey Jones, and a 7-foot tall Velociraptor.

However, I never really committed to a new design as early as JANUARY... until now.   I decided I want to build a costumed version of the B9 Lost in Space robot.

Now, there's not a whole lot of examples online of people who've built that sort of thing as a costume, so I'm having to do a lot of research, which is fine, of course.   I've joined the B9 Builders' club and I'm getting some info from them there.   But they mostly build REPLICAS of the B9, not wearable costumes of it.

And of course, a key challenge I'd like to try:  making the B9 actually move on wheels with me inside it.

An initial round of Google research revealed a lot of info on homemade Segways.  I bookmarked a lot of pages on that. 

However, I can't help but wonder:   I don't really need the whole "self-balancing" / gyro controls, do I ?

I mean, on the one hand, I've seen some Segway builds where the builder adds "training wheels" to the front and/or back of the Segway, for added safety.  But it seems like such wheels are always shorter and only engage if you tilt forward or back.   And I suppose that might be fine.

But I can't help but wonder if it'd be simpler and cheaper to build something with two motorized wheels, one additional big caster, and then leave out the gyro controls ??    ( Keep in mind that I don't know much about electronics, so I'm just spouting this in general terms here.)

So I thought I'd ask the experienced minds here for your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Newbie needs some guidance: to Segway or not to Segway
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
The R2D2 "costume" builders I've seen all use that method -- two driving wheels, and one or two casters. If you can find ones that can carry the load, you'll do fine with that, and it'll be more robust than self-balancing.

Offline DR4296Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Newbie needs some guidance: to Segway or not to Segway
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Ahhh... thanks very much for the tip!   R2 builders might be a good source of additional info.

It looks like a lot of the Segway builders start by raiding parts from one or two electric wheelchairs... two motors with gear boxes, batteries, and battery charger.   Thought that might be a good way to start on my end.  I see where the motors and gearboxes (used) sell on ebay.   But I also live in an area where there are a lot of older, poorer folks... plus lots of thrift stores... so I might be able to find a full used electric wheelchair at a decent price.

Yeah, that was my thinking too.. that Segway build info might be a bit overkill.  Well, it's not like I've found a full tutorial on that anyways.  At best, I'm lucky if folks who've created their own Segway disclose their parts list.

Thanks again!

-= Dave =-

Get Your Ad Here

data_list