go away spammer

Author Topic: learning machine vision  (Read 2659 times)

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
learning machine vision
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
I am wanting to implement a method for fairly accurate measurements of various objects and I was thinking that perhaps machine vision techniques would be more accurate then using IR rangefinders or sonar.  There will be very few variables so the task of measuring dimensions of objects would be fairly routine for my robot.  For example, if I had my camera set up in a fixed location and if a small object appeared in its view, I could determine the width or height of the object based on how many pixels composed the image of the object.  What should I do to begin learning how to implement some of the more basic machine vision methods? I was thinking I would use a web cam to capture the image and then write a program for processing the image.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Re: learning machine vision
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »
There is a pretty good tutorial in the tutorials section on Society of Robots.  Also check out CMUCam and RoboRealm.

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
Yes I have read through the tutorial and found it to be helpful but it doesn't give many specifics about how exactly to implement those techniques.  I'm looking for information on how to do the actual programming and what the best language is.  I was thinking I might give Visual Basic a try since I have the free express version.  I could be persuaded to try something else if the price is reasonable (less than $40 would be great).

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 01:12:34 AM »
You should be able to find something  ;)
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cil/v-source.html

Have you done any programing before?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:17:18 AM by JesseWelling »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 06:19:44 AM »
I think you should read a few books on the subject first. (seriously, this isnt a beginner level project :P)

For example, how would your robot know the difference between that object and the background? How would you know if the object is really big but far away, or really small but close up?

And even if your robot correctly determines the size of the object, what would your robot do with that info?

As for languages, I would recommend either C, C++, or Java, for this . . .

Get Your Ad Here