go away spammer

Author Topic: Need a motor shaft coupler  (Read 3097 times)

Offline karrotxTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need a motor shaft coupler
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »
I need to couple a semi circular shaft to a square shaft of a different size. I don't have calipers to measure the exact size but if you need that information I will buy a pair.

On the left is the DC motor shaft, on the right is the square shaft I need to connect it to. A few options I was consider is welding the two, which doesn't seem like a great idea, or milling the motor shaft down to the same shape as the square shaft.

Here is the motor and shaft:

What are my options? I need this done as soon as possible.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: Need a motor shaft coupler
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
If you can mill, just make a female-female coupler: one end which accepts the half-flat motor output, and another that accepts the shaft.  Drill a hole through both shafts and screw through - then it should be mechanically stable.  Set screws may also work, depending on the size.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Need a motor shaft coupler
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »
Hi,

Depending on the power transferred, perhaps a strong and very tight fitting tube of sorts could be used. Something with a strengthening weave, as the pressure hoses used on cars for oil.

Anyway, it all depends on the application, where it's gonna be used and forces (rotational as well as lengthwise.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list