go away spammer

Author Topic: Screw Cap Twister (Beta Version)  (Read 2956 times)

Offline SoerenTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Screw Cap Twister (Beta Version)
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
Hi,

A Christmas present for those who are ready to build this gripper from the ground up.
             http://that.homepage.dk/PDF/SCT_01.pdf
Not quite complete as is, but I'll leeave the rest as an exercise for you for now.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at Spambox(at)im26y(dot)com for the fastest reply (which may be fast or not, depending on how busy other stuff keeps me :)).

Merry Whatever.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:44:58 PM by Soeren »
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Screw Cap Twister (Beta Version)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
If you get the tolerances neccessary, it should work well.  You otherwise might have a slightly tricky time getting the thing onto the caps.  Granted, the small fillet on a standard cap might mitigate that problem.
I

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 03:22:47 AM »
Interesting idea, although I'm a bit concerned the blue things might get in the way during insertion.

Also, I think it'll work with just two of those blue things, making these things simpler to make . . .

-Admin, the mechE critic ;D

Offline SoerenTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
Hi,

I should mention that it was my first go with Google SketchUp (quite a lousy proggy for serious work I think) and since it was only ment to spark off some idea for those in need of such a gizmo, I didn't waste too much time getting the proportions right.

The "hole" is supposed to be some 5 to 8 mm (or more) larger in diameter than the cap, so it will fit a small range of cap diameters.

The "blue things" (the grippers) is shown with just a small part outside the ring shape, but this can be adjusted to the exact measures you want and it should probably have been shown a little concave as the other side (only I didn't want to spend more time on SketchUp). they might need a small "centering" spring between the two halves to keep the Blue Things from blocking the "loading".

I think it will be a challenge to do it with only two "blue things", since it wouldn't center the cap properly for a good grip.

Ment as a starting point for those wanting to experiment, as I have no time for making it right away (although I know it will work when I make it, since it is so simple).

As mentioned, it will need 3 little pieces of piano wire to keep the cap and perhaps an eject mechanism (a rod through a center hole should do), if you want to lose the cap instead of replacing it on the bottle.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here