Author Topic: 2.4Ghz zigbee vs 315Mhz rf module  (Read 5540 times)

Offline fantasypriestTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
2.4Ghz zigbee vs 315Mhz rf module
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
Guys, I need to know which one is better? as i read through, both have the same functions. but 2.4Ghz zigbee is widely use... im using this to connect my robot wirelessly to my laptop so that i can remote control the navigation of the robot. Thanks!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: 2.4Ghz zigbee vs 315Mhz rf module
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
Hi,

[...] which one is better?
That depends...
If they both have the same ERP and all, you have to look at what environment it will be used in. Both are ISM bands, so if you know someone with a good scanner (perhaps an exprimentin ham operator), scan both bands to see which is the most "silent" in your area.

The higher the frequency, the less "penetration" of walls and other obstacles.
The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna needs to be.
The EMC generated by your robot may have a specter that will make one perform better than the other.

If the 315MHz unit is bought too cheap, you may get some Chinese crap that don't hold specs. (I have a few 433MHz modules that has got a range of less than 10m - they were spec'd for 100..150m.

Whether it's important to you or not, there may be vast differences between the max. data rate.

In the end, only you can make the decision, as you're the only one who knows all the details that goes into making it, but if you go with proven technology (read user reviews, not at the sellers site though) from a trustworthy business, you should be good.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: 2.4Ghz zigbee vs 315Mhz rf module
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:13:04 AM »
What is the best car?

What is the best color for a hat?

That all depends on what you need it to do :P

You gotta account for things like your budget, desired range, desired baud rate, and how easy it is to use. Look around for what other people are using, and compile up a list that helps you make a decision.

For example, I use a 450mHz setup for my underwater robot, as 2.4GHz can't pass through more than a few millimeters of water. I use 2.4GHz bluetooth for my ERP for maximum range and simplicity. I use 2.4GHz Zigbee as it's best for wireless mesh networks, like with my Axon Mote.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list