go away spammer

Author Topic: automated reloading crossbow  (Read 4194 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
automated reloading crossbow
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
ok so not entirely robotics related . . . but I like automated stuff ;D

Electric Automatic Cross Bow

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: automated reloading crossbow
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:18 AM »
It seems to be based on the old Chinese semiautomatics, where you just pulled/swung a handle back and it fired from a bottom-feeding magazine, small and not very efficient bolts, but to an attacking enemy, a few of these must have been bad news.

Around late eighties, I made an automated X-bow (Based on a Barnett brand frame) with top loading and a far stronger bow, mounted in a high cupboard and with an IR "cross" in the hall where bolts would be launched against when interrupted. Not small bolts like the one in the video, but regular modern bolts.
Well, I regained my senses and got over my paranoia (it was to clip anyone breaking in) and around the same time X-bows were banned in DK, as some dimwits were using them in a gang conflict and politicians allways go for the look-decisive approach and banned the lot (now you get a week in jail if you are found to be carrying a knife (even if it's blade is 2 cm) and if the blade locks open, you must be gangster *tsk-tsk*
Later on, I changed to stun mode by a Super Soaker shooting a saline solution with a HT connected to the muzzle. Never found a volunteer to test it on though.

The X-bow in the video has a very weak bow (perhaps to make a small motor able to draw it) as can be seen by the small bolts diving pretty fast when leaving the track and the fact that it loads and fires in one go, not only makes it slow (no good for hunting), but probably hard to hit with precision. Funny stuff nevertheless, but the video didn't have to be that long - I was expecting the guy to explain about it or something (I will never get the videos just showing the end result without any details).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:59:38 AM »
You probably refer to Chu-ke nu sometimes misspelled as Chu-ko-nu repeating crossbow...
(Good old days with Age of Empires 2 anyone????)

It's probably almost the same thing, but the Chinese version uses a gravity feeder and is based on dynamic energy stored in
the string rather a more complex design.... ;-)
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Around late eighties, I made an automated X-bow (Based on a Barnett brand frame) with top loading and a far stronger bow, mounted in a high cupboard and with an IR "cross" in the hall where bolts would be launched against when interrupted. Not small bolts like the one in the video, but regular modern bolts.

Remind me never to break in to your house...  ;)

Yeah, I got sick of the video after two different views.  It's cool nonetheless.  I wonder if the guy built it himself?

Offline JoeSkull

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
I remember when I was designing an automated crossbow to be mounted on my robot. Never got around to building it though, decided to go with more of a gun. I should really get back to that, and maybe build an auto-bow while I am at it.

Anyway, that guy should mount it on wheels and have it go through one of those cop training thingies you see on TV(where they walk through a town shooting cardboard crooks that pop up in the windows).

Get Your Ad Here

data_list