Author Topic: Accelerometer Help  (Read 1654 times)

Offline lysworldTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Accelerometer Help
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:41:39 AM »
Hi

I am looking for some advice on 3-axis accelerometer use for movement analysis. I am trying to find information [and advice] on relevant products that could be used, or potentially packages that people could put together. I have read [briefly] about accelerometers being so small now that they are built into small sticky patches [and also disposable!] which is what is of most interest to me.

I wish to put these onto specific joints: elbow, knee etc as well as a barbell during weightlifting. However, am I correct in thinking they need a connection device such as bluetooth to read their data? Current devices in the sports market are bulky and also overcomplicated by 'fancy software' and the raw data would likely be enough for me to use into something as simple as MS excel.

If anyone has advice or can help please get in touch.

Thank you

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Accelerometer Help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »
A good place to start is the tutorials and products at SparkFun.

Most accelerometers that I know of use a serial interface (SPI or I2C) while some have analog outputs. These would require another device to send the signal wireless.
Do you really need wireless for each accelerometer?

Offline lysworldTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at SparkFun.

What are the alternatives to wireless? I am unaccustomed to using accelerometers but understand the concept, so am trying to look at any solutions really.

Thanks again

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »
Hi,

Do you need the data real time?
If not, you could use data logging and read them after the event (I assume it's for optimizing how the body is being used etc.)

Color coded elastic Velcro bands could hold them in place on the body for a quick set-up.
With the devices available to Joe Random, you'll need a microcontroller, but if 8 bit (0-255) of data would suffice, each accelerometer could be read by a tiny microcontroller like this:

That would make a very light weight application.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here