go away spammer

Author Topic: Looking for reasonable bipolar stepper  (Read 2714 times)

Offline MaltaeronTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Looking for reasonable bipolar stepper
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
I have a robot that I need to be moved with stepper motors so that it can have fairly exact movements in a clear environment, I am looking for some help with what I did wrong and some steppers to buy that could fit within my current setup with minimal change. If it wouldn't be too expensive, I could rework the whole setup, even to another type of stepper, but I would prefer not two. I have also searched the forum already,  ;)

I set up a circuit on my breadboard with an atmega168 controlling two steppers from an Epson printer via 4 NJM3717 drivers.
Data sheet: www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/newjapanradio/ee04004.pdf
I am using the example setup from the data sheet, with I0 and I1 connected to one control pin and PHASE an other.

This is my code, the macro PORT_TEST is true if the given pin is on, and false otherwise, hope the code is not undecipherable (I am self taught)

Code: [Select]
void motorStepForward(int i){
static IOPin ioPin;

ioPin = ioPins[i ];

Toggle current, and possibly phase for coil A
PORT_TOGGLE(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin + 1);
if (!PORT_TEST(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin + 1)){
PORT_TOGGLE(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin);
}

//Toggle current, and possibly phase for coil B
PORT_TOGGLE(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin + 3);
if (!PORT_TEST(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin + 3)){
PORT_TOGGLE(*ioPin.port, ioPin.pin + 2);
}

}

I got the motors to sort of work; however, there were some very interesting things that I don't think should have occurred.

- Very little torque, next to none
- I could change the direction of the spinning just by manually setting in the new direction (this was actually really fun ;D)
- Some time near the end of my playing testing of the motors, some internal connection broke (no connection between A and A' anymore)

Some other facts:
I powered the motors at different times from unregulated 4.8V and 9.6V, though the drivers I used were meant for 10V to 45V

I am limited to 9.6V, as this robot is for a competition with that as a limit.
There are others on this forum with the same event, Robot Ramble, regulations: https://www.lakesideschool.org/upperschool/community/ScienceOlympiad/rules/RobotRamble.pdf

Thanks,
Mad High school Freshman
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:28:21 PM by Maltaeron »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Looking for reasonable bipolar stepper
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
Not enough torque means you aren't supplying enough power.

Are the batteries fully charged?

Whats the voltage rating on the steppers?

How much current are they using (check with multimeter)?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list