go away spammer

Author Topic: My 4DoF Quad: Numa  (Read 4502 times)

Offline GertlexTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
My 4DoF Quad: Numa
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »
Howdy folks,

I posted this over at Trossen a few weeks ago... but since my 'roots' are here, here it is again :)

I'm working on my own quadruped, eventually for Mech Warfare. This quad is named Numa. Numa was the second of the ancient Roman kings... and so I can use royalty as an excuse to make a purple bot (e.g. I will eventually dye the brackets purple). And yes, I'm aware of the fat-guy video for Ozone's song, Dragostea Din Tei. I don't mind if you choose to associate the name with that

Hardware specs of Numa:
-4DOF per leg
-16 AX-12a servos in the legs, 1 or 2 for turret, eventually.
-Axon MCU
-Tristate buffer allows Axon to control the dynamixel servos. (Has purple LED to indicate that servos have power!)
-Can use either Xbee 1.25 mW communication, or serial port communication (Using the Parallax SIP xbee adapter on the robot side)
-2200 mAh 11.1 V LiPo battery for servos, 280 maH 9V NiMh battery for Axon and peripherals.  Battery monitor on Lipo with LEDs and alarm...
-Trendnet wireless-g camera, ordered, and soon to be added.  Will power with Lipo, but 5V supply via switching regulator.
-Using dremel, power switches for Axon power, LiPo power, and DC power supply power are integrated into standard Dynamixel brackets

I'm shooting for a very similar robot to Immortal (bot of a high school friend of mine), but figuring it out with my own hardware configuration.

Software approach:
-Axon runs my own code created with the modules/etc. from Webbotlib
-Webbot's GaitDesigner format is currently used for gaits
-I generate my gaits in this format using Mathematica to do the IK calculations. Using its visualization tools is awesome for verifying what my code actually does.
-I will be using VB.Net (Unless I learn a new GUI making tool in the near future) to make my own user interface. Input will quite probably use one of these for awesome points.
-Working on coding up omnidirectional and possibly curved walking.  Got the geometry/math done... coding just isn't exciting since that's what I do all day at work.

-Beginning of May: Started ordering parts.
-Mid May: Made tristate buffer and was finally able to control servos
-June 12: Finally got the bugs out of my Mathematica code and correctly have my robot walking forwards/backwards
-June 17: successful remote control of walking with xbee link.
-End of June/Early July, took Numa on "tour" in Colorado (aka visited friends) whilst mandatory evacuation order was in effect for Los Alamos due to wildfire ;)  People are easy to impress

Stuff to do/determine
-Give the feet more traction
-How I will move camera/etc. (e.g. I'd save weight by using hobby servos for pan/tilt)
-Optimize the gaits for speed and balance
-Make compensating for changes in center of mass easier
-How to tie the gaits together to do more complicated walking
-Design custom body to nicely integrate all of the parts
-Guns
-Modeling the bot in Solidworks... chassis plates are the main focus for now... The turret gets in the way of things...

Youtube of walking:
Numa - Mech Warfare - Improved walking

Bunch of pics attached.  More pics (and other tinkering stuffs...) on flickr.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:16:27 PM by Gertlex »
I

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • Index of Oddities
Re: My 4DoF Quad: Numa
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »
In the last few months I've finished just about everything on Numa, and in good time too... there'll be some casual competition at the iHobby Expo in two weeks.

I stuck to posting updates over at Trossen, which you can find here.
Lots of pics of this work are on my Flickr, here.

And here's Numa as of half an hour ago:
I

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
Admin, at least I foiled the ArbotiX microcontroller from being the brains of the top 3 bots :D

I had fun... I've got some video I've yet to upload that I took with my buddy's camcorder, but nothing too special.

I posted my pictures of Numa and a rambling of updates in this post, for those that are interested.
I

Get Your Ad Here

data_list