Author Topic: New member, first build  (Read 1677 times)

Offline RipkordTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
New member, first build
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
  Hey fellas, new to the site and enjoyed reading the past few days. As of 4 days ago, I suddenly decided to build somthing. At first it was to be some kind of contraption. Heres what heppend:

I decided that I wanted to start with a solar powered RC type thing. Keeping in mind for future upgrades to be a robot with unknown purpose.

-I am using mostly junk parts, and nothing will be in a kit form.
-I will be using a 130 type motor, or the next stage up. CD drive motor?
-It will be light weight as possible.
-Wheel base will be 9-10 inches, track width 5-6"
-As it stands right now, I will have a center pivot chassis using a servo from an RC-10 Associated
-I will make a solid rear axle with 1/8" rod, with a tube for housing, and a large spure gear
-I am using 2", and 2 1/4" foam plane tires.

Now my question, dont you think its a good idea to get it to be in RC form, then robotics once I get the feel of things?

Discuss..

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: New member, first build
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
Now my question, dont you think its a good idea to get it to be in RC form, then robotics once I get the feel of things?
Well, if You start with RC, to make Your bot autonomous You'll only have to insert MCU instead of RC receiver. There's not much difference, as main structure and circuits of the robot will be the same. It's not going to be much easier to go with RC, especially if You are familiar with programing.

As far as I understand, this is Your first bot, hence - I think You are aiming too high. Start with something more simple and well supported (such as The $50 Robot) and grow from there.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
As it stands right now, Im trying to do as minimal programming as possible. I will use sensors, and hit switches. Once I learn some programming techniques, I will adapt it from RC form to robotics. Again, I havent found out what I want the "bot" to do.  Maybe Ill go check out some of my nepheiws toys. :o

what say you?

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
I say - just go for it. I cannot give an advice as I don't know how capable You are and what exactly You want to achieve  ;D
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
 That is good advice right there. Im gonna just go for it. Im also collecting parts for some beam bots. I will be building these while building, planning for the larger one.

Get Your Ad Here