Author Topic: 50$ Robot> Skipping the AVR ISP2 Programmer?  (Read 6810 times)

Offline razvanc_roroTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
50$ Robot> Skipping the AVR ISP2 Programmer?
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:04:15 AM »
I haven't found that "AVR ISP2 Programmer" in any of my local/online stores from Romania and I find difficult order it from abroad. Instead, I've found so called "AVR Universall Programmer"
http://www.hi-end.ro/popup_image.php?pID=479&osCsid=575b0ffad493b9933d20b6f1531dd004
and I wonder if I can put my atMega8 on this board, upload my .HEX on it and then move it to my $50 Robot? Can I do so? This board can I connect it to my PC with an "usual" cable?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 05:21:31 AM by razvanc_roro »
Try do your best without doing anything! Possible?!?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: 50$ Robot> Skipping the AVR ISP2 Programmer?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
A better link:
http://www.hi-end.ro/product_info.php?products_id=479&osCsid=4f0e278ef2e7542cab513df2aa7e6624

My romanian is a little rusty but it appears to say you need Ponyprog?

It appears it will work . . . but Im really not sure . . . I couldnt find any other webpage that has the programmer . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »
Yes, sorry, that was a better link indeed.
He says that this Atmel AVR programmer is based on using PonyProg, and that it can program all kinds of AVR and 89S microcontrollers which PonyProg has in its list of known microcontrollers. It has 5 sockets: 2x40pins, 1x28pins, 1x20pins, 1x8pins. For the atMega8 I can use the 28pins socket :D.
I think you haven't found any description on this board because he says he is a passionate of electronics and I think he's making those boards and sell them for those like me  ::) . The price (converted) is about 24$. (Think it's worth it?!? But I don't have any available possibility... :( )
The idea was that I didn't knew if I can do this "trick": uploading the .HEX on this board and then moving the microcontroller on my robot's board.

Thank you!

PS: Nice job you make here with this site/forum/tutorials :) You really create a community. Keep up the good work! ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 10:02:51 AM by razvanc_roro »

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
Salut Razvan,

I am also from Romania and I work with AVR micros. If there is no special reason to use the serial port, I have found it's a lot cheaper to build a programmer that uses the parallel port. If you are interested, I can show you schematics and give you advice on how to build your own programmer.

Cheers!
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »
Salut Razvan,

I am also from Romania and I work with AVR micros. If there is no special reason to use the serial port, I have found it's a lot cheaper to build a programmer that uses the parallel port. If you are interested, I can show you schematics and give you advice on how to build your own programmer.

Cheers!
can you show me? please.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
I have found it's a lot cheaper to build a programmer that uses the parallel port.

Salutare!
I was using the serial port because I've take step-by-step the 50$ Robot tutorial of John ( and the reason that I have one :)  some of my friends don't :D and they are using adaptors).
I don't have much time, because I use these for the final exam in collage and I can't spare any more time.
Thanks anyway!

My question is still up!

Offline iNFINITE

• Helpful? 0
    • iNTBOTS.iNFO | My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:13:34 AM »
IF you have parallel port  in you computer then making a programmer for AVR is very easy..
I have used the this bsd programmer: http://www.bsdhome.com/avrdude/
It is nothing but just 5 wires. You don't even have to use the resistors.

Just connect the pins from parallel port as shown below.

Pin 7 ---------   AVR /RESET
Pin 8 ---------   AVR SCK (clock input)
Pin 9 ---------   AVR MOSI (instruction in)
Pin 10 ------- AVR MISO (data out)
Pin 18 ------- Signal Ground

Better use an  external power supply to give the vcc to the AVR, rather than drawing the vcc from the parallel port.

But some people have problems with this cheap programmers, specially those with newer computers. See this thread if you are also having problem :http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=36591

-- Abhijit

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
and I wonder if I can put my atMega8 on this board, upload my .HEX on it and then move it to my $50 Robot? Can I do so? This board can I connect it to my PC with an "usual" cable?

Yes, you can. To connect this board to your PC serial port use a serial cable.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list