Author Topic: Unsure Newby  (Read 1590 times)

Offline icecreamslickTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Unsure Newby
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
I have been building and operation RC tanks, cars, trucks and motorcycles for years and that is all I know. I’m used to the usual combining of joystick movements in order to make a vehicle move, rather than programming movements and pressing buttons. Here’s is what

I’m curious about:

Is it possible to take a robot kit like the Kondo KHR-2HV and use a standard ground transmitter with eight or ten channels to control it? I want to use joysticks to command direction and speed and use buttons and/or toggle switches to perform the computer programmed, preset moves. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I want to control as much as possible in the manner that I’m used to, and still have various moves/actions that can be performed at the touch of a button or the flick of a switch. I do not want to just press buttons on a transmitter that functions like a television remote or be tethered to a laptop computer. Of course, I don’t want to limit what my robot can do either, but I would like to control it like any other RC.  Is that possible?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I just discovered robotics and I feel like I’m hooked before I even have a robot of my own or even a clue about how it all works.  I plan to buy a Kondo KHR-2HV starter kit at the beginning of September, but from the videos I’ve seen I don’t know how the transmitter works as they are not the subject.

Thanks!
Jason

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5342-Kondo-KHR-2HV-Starter-Kit-.aspx

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Unsure Newby
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »
What you are thinking about is called 'teleoperation'.

Basically, you preprogram a bunch of moves called 'gaits', then your remote control selects which gait to use when you want it to.

For example, a biped has 10+ servos on it - impossible to coordinate using a remote control alone! Instead, you preprogram the 'walk gait' or the 'jump gait' or the 'take over the world gait'. Then just push forward on your remote control to go forward, up to jump, and the A button to become president. :P

All of the bipeds you can buy are already set up like this, but some require you to buy the remote separately if you don't want full autonomous.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/remote_control_robot.shtml